Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shearing  (Read 1518 times)

john jackman

• Joined Aug 2013
shearing
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:16 am »
Hi I have to over friendly lambs that need shearing, I live in the Hythe Kent area, but do not know any shearers, can anyone help please.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: shearing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:10 am »
What breed are they?  Most breeds are not shorn as lambs, unless they are to be housed all winter, but get their first shearing in the early summer after their year of birth - when they become shearlings.  :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

debscooper

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
Hi - assuming they are old enough to shear, I can wholeheartedly recommend Philip Fisher. He's been doing my lot for the past four years and is superb - and reliable. He lives in south Yorkshire, but travels all over the UK. YOu can contact him via email - singingshearer@aol.com. Good luck

john jackman

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:28:21 am »
Thanks for that wasn't sure if they needed shearing this year or not, at least I've a while to find someone.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:22 am »
What breed are they? If the fleece isn't too thick, I would just protect them with Clic, Crovect, etc. Give us a bit more info and someone may be able to help further.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS