Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Update & advice needed!  (Read 2441 times)

acrown64

• Joined Nov 2012
Update & advice needed!
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:02:07 pm »
Hi Guys, right first off wee update of what's going on. Since my 4 saddleback pigs last year I have bought two sows, a boar and 5 little weaners. All pure bred British saddlebacks. Initially I only wanted to buy weaners but the breeding stock came at the right price,lol!

So the plan is to fatten up the weaners like we did last year and hopefully breed the other two girls. This is where my knowledge is a little scarce. Has anyone experience of running two sows with a boar at the same time? Are they likely to fight? Any tips on breeding and farrowing would be greatly appreciated as well.

Oh, also have got myself 7 sheep, 14 broiler chickens and 12 turkeys so the smallholding dream is coming together!! :)

Thanks guys,
Alastair

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Update & advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »
My concern would be that you could end up with two sows farrowing at the same time and could have over 20 piglets to look after and then find a buyer for or feed until they finish. Do you have a plan for what you might do with them. Sows do fight a bit when introduced to each other but it's just sorting out the pecking order. Probably when a boar is present he'll be the boss so they should be ok. I would advise doing a lot of homework before going into breeding a large number of pigs can be very expensive to keep so you need to have plans in place.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »
I think before you put either sow to the boar, you make sure you've got a market for the pigs or space, time and cashflow to allow you to run them on for pork, as Hughesy says. It's very easy to think you'll find buyers but unfortunately it's not always the case - especially if you're competing with established/recognised breeders in your area.

I'd not necessarily rule out having them both farrow at the same time - it can be handy if one sow has a lot of piglets to be able to foster them onto the other (you wouldn't be able to do this if they were 3 weeks apart)
If both sows currently run together there's little chance of them fighting and as long as they're just about to come into season when you put the boar in they shouldn't give him too hard a time either  ;)

Good places for information on breeding are the GOS breeders club website and I also like the Haynes pig manual - it's very straightforward and will give you a good starting point. But if you're planning piglets for next spring you'd better get reading all you can or look for a local, friendly breeder who might let you help out with their pigs to get a bit of practical experience - you'll need to be up on your injections etc or else you'll end up paying a lot of expensive vet call-outs.

You'll need to figure out what you're going to do with your boar when he's not serving your sows - they don't do when not 'working'. It can lead to them getting a bit frustrated and it can also sometimes affect fertility levels, so you might want to think about getting an approved isolation area sorted for him and offering his services as a stud for visiting sows (or hire him out for stud) You'll also need to have any young female weaners fairly far away from him, otherwise when they start to come into season he'll get to them (possibly taking gates and fences with him !)

There's way too much involved in farrowing and breeding to write it up as a short 'how to' unfortunately, but read through the pig section and you'll get an idea of some of the most common things  :thumbsup: And I'd suggest (if you've not already) get yourself good weather-proof gear (cos you'll be out there twice a day, every day all through the winter) and get your water pipes to the area where the pigs are insulated/buried - freeze up's in mid winter when you've got to barrow water to 20 plus pigs isn't fun  :innocent:

Sorry, this all sounds a bit doom and gloom  :-\ Breeding pigs is great and you're helping to keep some of these rare breeds going, but it's definitely a labour of love and there's LOTS to learn (even if you've been doing it for years, you always learn something new) so good luck with it and keep us posted.
Welcome to the world of breeding pigs  :excited: :excited: :excited:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »
Liz's Haynes Manual is good, as is our book "Perfect Pigs" available from our website !

Running two sows with a boar can work quite well, giving company for the boar, and regular piglets for you.

Run sow A with the boar, she can stay with him after mating until a fortnight before farrowing, this keeps the boar happy and placid, he has company.  At the same time run sow  B with the weaners to keep her company.

Fortnight before sow A due to farrow remove sow A.  This is when she needs some extra feeding, and will be happy on her own getting used to her farrowing accommodation. 

Introduce sow B to the boar, he'll then have her to service and keep him company, she stays with him whilst sow A gives birth and then has her weaners for two months.  Once sow A has weaned, she can go back in with the boar along with sow B.  Then you take sow B out a fortnight before farrowing etc. etc.

Gives the boar company, the sows have company or weaners, you have production system !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:22:41 pm »
Excellent advice from HH and Oaklands - and thanks for the recommendations for the book, by the way. I also have Oaklands' book and it's very thorough.
Nothing much to add to what's been said above - good advice indeed!

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

acrown64

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:00 pm »
Great advice! Thanks a lot guys! Can always relay on good info from here.
Will keep ya all posted!
Thanks again!
Alastair

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS