Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone.....  (Read 2385 times)

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
Does anyone.....
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:36:13 am »
....Vaccinate their ewes against chlamydia? Has anyone had problems with enzootic abortion?

Allison

Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Re: Does anyone.....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »
Hi, I work for a vets and our big sheep farmers do but none of the smallholders or small flocks do. Don't know if that's any help to you.

So many ideas, not enough hours

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »
I inject mine for both, we have 30 breeding ewes.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »
Yes and yes.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »
Thanks for replies, Interested to hear if you do not vaccinate, is it because you have a closed flock and have not been affected by abortion or is it because of advise given ( or not) from the vet?

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:35 pm »
We don't vaccinate against infectious abortion as we don't have a problem, if we do have a late term abortion then we send foetus and placenta off to VLA for testing, just in case. If we got a positive result back then would obviously have to reconsider flock vaccination for the following year.  My understanding is that vaccinating for enzootic abortion could mask a problem if you are selling breeding ewes to a flock that don't vaccinate, so we know that we are selling 'clean' stock to pedigree breeders.       

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »
We don't because we have never had a late abortion. Like orf, it's something that we would consider if it became an issue but otherwise with currently clean flock we prefer not to mask with vaccinations.

Also we have a small flock on a decent area of land and no contact with other flocks eg through fences.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:34 pm »
We did have a late abortion and had all the testing done to reveal nothing nasty and as it happens the ewe just had an unexpected lamb so all is well with her now - like others I would consider if the situation changes and like others we have no other sheep around us.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »
Same with us.  Our flock is closed, apart from new rams every 2 years, but they're quarantined for 6 weeks before joining the flock anyway.  The nearest sheep are across the valley.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:42 am »
I dont - I have had the odd ewe abort, but never more than one in any given year. I had been told it is a good idea to put a ewe that aborted in with the ewe lambs so they catch and then get immune to toxo before they are ever got in lamb.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
A closed flock won't stop enzotic abortions if there are cats on or near where the ewes are!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
Cats spread toxoplasmosis - not enzootic abortion.

Toxo does cause abortion, but it is a different beast so a different vaccine is used.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS