Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: POL chickens wanted in Kent  (Read 2580 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
POL chickens wanted in Kent
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »

I'm looking for good healthy POL chickens in Kent. I'm near Tunbridge Wells but will travel for the right ones.

My 'usual' man doesn't have any at the moment and having had a bad experience through someone we found in the paper I'm a bit wary of that route.

I keep Light Sussex at the moment but am open to anything a bit different (although I'm fussy - no bantamsn frizzles etc). Happy to pay good money to get the right chickens.

Have nice house and run waiting... As well as more orders for fresh eggs than I can currently supply!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: POL chickens wanted in Kent
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:29:10 am »
Have you checked preloved? I'm in Kent as well but have a slight surfeit of cockerels and drakes at the moment so not much use (and mine are Orps ?hich are not best or egg requiring customers) but ther่ always seems to be a lot on preloved. Kings Hill rare breeds is at Malling and I got a couple of nice ducks fom them last year and they had quite a few pens of breeding chickens. There is a place in Tonbridge that I would avoid though - can't remember the name which clearly doesn't help you much but I was initially sold three 'hens' which were all cockerels and then attempt two brought avian leukosis with it (I believe). I'll have a google and see if I can come up with the name to avoid.

Also worth asking Kent Poultry club and they've got an advert up for various colours of Sussex in Faversham on their website at the moment,

H

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:17:14 am »

Thanks for those ideas!

I had a look at Preloved but there was nothing I really fancied.

Like you we've had a bad experience, we bought a batch from someone near Sevenoaks which looked fine however they were carriers of something and before long all our other chickens has died - ironically the fox got the last one of the 'carriers'.

This batch have been truly fab, great looking and great layers. I don't mind something other than Light Sussex. Will try the place in Malling and see what they have.

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »
I've used hen house poultry several times and they have been happy and healthy hens

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS