Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please on drenching my sheep  (Read 3347 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Advice please on drenching my sheep
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:27:53 am »
Good Morning

I am a bit confused with all of the different types of drench you can get for sheep. I have 6 Shetlands which I need to drench. One of my boys got a very bad case of fly strike last year and nearly died, so I'm a bit worried about it happening again, as it all happened so quickly. I check them on a daily basis and have been keeping a close eye on them. He got it because he had some nasty cuts, I think it was from his escaping attempts.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the product to use? I used crovect last year which sorted them out well. Although it may sound a silly question to ask, but how does the dosage work. I know it goes on weight, however there seems to be different dosages and methods of application depending on what you are treating. This is the first year I have had to drench them, as they were all up to date when I bought them last year.

Any advice on product, or dosage method, much appreciated

Thank you

Emily

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Advice please on drenching my sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:44:42 pm »
I to am a little confused, to DRENCH a sheep is to squirt/pour a product eg  wormer/flukicide/mins-vits down its throat . To protect or treat blowfly is to apply a pour-on , there are 5 main pour-ons , all different application rates and length of protection but basicly the same method of application . I don't want to overload you with to much information , but if you want to do research then google the product eg  CROVECT   DYSECT   VETRAZIN   CLIKZIN  CLIK followed by N O A H  (national office of animal health ) and you will get all product information .  For CROVECT as you say there are different rates for  Lice  Ticks  Blowfly protection /treatment   Headfly based on the weight of animal  , the pack gives very detailed instuctions .  For blowfly prevention when you apply with a fan spray crovect only protects where it touches the wool it does not spread.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »
Emily, you must mean 'pour-on' yes? It's not really an 'up to date' thing as with wormers/drenches. It's a seasonal treatment to avoid the flystrike happening. Some products prevent only and some prevent and treat a current attack. Application is generally by gun and the gun is calibrated on dosage according to the weight of the animal. Products have comprehensive directions on application which is usually down the spine and around the tail in a horseshoe shape.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:19:40 am »
Emily, you will probably need to Crovect again like you did last year, to protect them against flystrike.

Check with your vet whether you should also think about ticks and/or lice.  S/he will know if there are issues with these in your area. 

In terms of drenching, you may need to drench with a wormer.  However, with only a few sheep, if lightly stocked and especially if you are rotating with another species, you may not have a worm problem.  You can get a 'faecal egg count' done to see if there is a problem before deciding to drench, or if you prefer to just drench anyway or know that you do have a problem, then I would again ask your vet to recommend a wormer to use.  You only have a few sheep and mostly these products come in large containers, so the vet may be prepared to sell you just the amount you need for your wee flock.

You should also ask your vet whether you should be drenching for fluke.  If there is fluke in your area then you will need to drench for this at certain times of year - again, your vet will know what products and drenching regime suits your local conditions, and should be able to sell you the appropriate amount for your flock.

The other kind of drench you may need is a mineral supplement.  I bet you can guess what I will say next.  Yes, your vet will know what are the local deficiencies - around here it is cobalt, copper and selenium - and should be able to dispense the appropriate quantity for your sheep.  Or may recommend you use a mineral block or lick.

Finally, have you vaccinated your sheep at all since you had them?  Generally we vaccinate (for clostridial diseases and for pasteurella, using Heptavac-P or Covexin-8 or -10) shortly before lambing, and that timing ensures that some of the immunity passes to the lambs.  Vaccination will be an injection.

There is also now a vaccine available for Schmallenberg.  If you want to use this you will need to vaccinate in the summer, some time before the ewes go to the tup.  Again, the vet will advise and sell you the vaccine if you decide to vaccinate.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS