Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who'd have sheep ?!!  (Read 6607 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Who'd have sheep ?!!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 08:58:55 am »
As usual always a good idea to vent woes on here. Thanks all.  Have given them all a good dollop of wormer/flukicide  as they were probably overdue. we try to reduce drenching by managing the pasture better - not really worked this year.
we.ve always used calseagrit Euroblocs for  minerals which i know a bit about as i sell them- backed up with higher energy buckets in the run up to lambing. usually ok but not ruling out anything. As far as soil testing etc. goes i think that is a good shout. irony is i spend much opf my working life soil testing and producing forage guidance for farmers- never tested my own for some bizarre reason.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »
Some form of chelated mineral drench may really help them. Having proper worm counts done and testing for resistance may be worth a look. May be a plan to look at your lambing stratagy now? Perhaps lamb later than normal to let the grass freshen before tupping, even a couple o weeks could make a big difference to the ewes while not pushing the lambing out of sink for the following season?

It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
I have ancient meadow pasture and close up the turn-out field for ewes and lambs at the end of August.  That way the grass grows slowly through the winter and there's plenty of opportunity for the deeper rooted species (yarrow, sheep's sorrel, etc.) to draw up nutrients from deeper underground.  If I had them on an Italian ryegrass/white clover mix I'd be very concerned about the likelihood of poor vitamin and mineral levels.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS