Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starting with rabbits.... advice please :)  (Read 10664 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: starting with rabbits.... advice please :)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:58 am »
Thanks for starting this post - really interesting! would like to do meat rabbits myself one day. Good luck!

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 11:00:18 am »
i know rabbits will eat the grass/hay and veggies but are there anything else that they should be fed such as concentrates or rabbit feed?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:22 am »
I once read that you could make a hole and put mesh in their toilet corner, tray underneath - any ideas on that?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »
Yes its been really helpfull! I am making my outdoor runs at the moment! I like the idea of feeding as much grass as possible and supplementing with feed!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »
You'll soon get to know how much dry food they will eat but the bags of feed ought to have a guideline on them. A good basic pellet supplemented with 70% grass or hay and 30% edible weeds is a great diet and will keep them really healthy. I used to know the ratio's and even marked up an old jug with amounts for pregnant does, maintenance ration, etc, but now I just go by what they tend to eat. If there is a lot of food left every day I just give them a smaller dish. Growing kits and nursing does need ad-lib feed and you'll find the bucks are smaller eaters - or maybe yours will make a liar of me, lol.

This is a really useful link
http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e03.htm#TopOfPage
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
I feed mine a rabbit breeders pellet which isn't very expensive at all. Also the quantities are pretty small, for example, its 50g portion for a buck or doe (this is increased for the doe during pregnancy/lactation), which, when measured, isn't very much. They also get hay/veggies/grass adlib

http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/pet/small-animal/food-and-treats/rabbit/allen-rabbit-breeder-grower-20kg.html

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:32 pm »
brilliant thank you just got the hutches and runs to build now :)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
Feed - they pretty much eat anything you can grow in the garden except that they are not keen on the onion family.
To my surprise I was told that they love the long leafy shoots thrown off by the grape vine. At the moment I am chucking them my spent haricot bean plants ( they eat the lot) , carrots and of course dandilions.
We spare them lettuce and just give them the odd cabbage leaf . They like an apple and they are getting the odd plum too.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:09 am »
My rabbits completely changed my relationship with weeds, I can identify most of them now and see them as useful assets. Avoid anything toxic such as docks, the odd leaf won't hurt but they are loaded with oxalic acid  which is a cumulative poison so don't feed them in quantity. Ours love a bit of willow to chew at and leaves from the hazel trees. Strawberry leaves go down well, vetch, shepherds purse, dandelion, chickweed, cleavers, sow thistles, raspberry leaves, lime leaves, alder, daisies, plantain, sorrel, any culinary herbs especially mint, there are so many things they will enjoy. If you crush nettle leaves wearing gloves they'll enjoy those too.
It's a bit like your own diet, a little of everything and not too much of anything - except for grass, they need a lot of grass/hay.
One last useful thing; couch grass is a natural antibiotic and if your rabbit isn't feeling well it's a good thing to offer.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
just to echoe others - gather as much and a variety of green stuff saving items highlighted above. It is harder work but better than those pellet things and cheaper too. Meat raised this way is excellent. ( rabbit and dried mushroom pasta in a wine and tomatoe sauce tonight !! Oh - livers too).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »
Later in the year, avoid greens that have been frosted.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »
Later in the year, avoid greens that have been frosted.

Good to learn new things thanks Bodger. Are they ok if they have been frosted and then recover as so many plants do if they are still in the ground with their roots on, or is there something that happens to them as a result of the frosting?
They do say to remove anything that has wilted too, I think that has something to do with fermentation. It maybe affects the gut flora balance, anyone know?

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 03:47:40 pm »
I have never had a problem with green / roots that have been frozen , i have always been told it's only the ones with the frost on them , i regularly feed winter greens , cabbage, kale,brussell sprouts,, swedes,+swede leaves right through untill the spring greens are ready , and i've been feeding bunnys for ???? over 55 years ( wow that makes me feel old  :innocent: )

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
I once read that you could make a hole and put mesh in their toilet corner, tray underneath - any ideas on that?

Yup ,
Our first domestic pet wabbit was an old English one weighed in at over 7 pounds when fully grown .

His cage was a four foot by four foot by four foot 1 '2 thick walled pine packing case that had been well creosoted several months before we got him.

I made the bottom 2 inches a suspended floor  using 1/4 " thick round stainless steel rods set 1/3 inch apart over about one foot of the day area . The whole underneath was a slide in /out tray with a pee & pellet  gully sticking outside of the cage. it fitted loosely into the under croft area and had deflection batons to guide any droppings and pee onto the tray .

The rest of his cage was a solid floor and covered in a good two inches of barley straw , they eat this like a cow chews cud and seem to enjoy it better than wheat or oat straw .
 I divided the cage so that he had 14 inches sleep area on even more barley straw ,
he rarely peed in or pooped  in his bed area .

It didn't take him long to use the grid floor area for his toilet needs .

The bed area was a secondary door area on the inside of the cage and there was a 9 inch round hole in the hinged  dividing wall between the bed and the day area so it gave a two inch lip to keep his bedding in . There was also a two inch lip by the SS rods , again to try and keep the bedding off the rods.

His feeder and water  were removable stainless steel bowls fastened  a few inches up from the floor .
  It was a simple case that every other day I could slide out the soiled pee tray and hose it off into a 5 gallon bucket . then put the tray insert back in the hutch without disturbing the rabbit.
 There was a day pen exit made from a sliding pop hole plate of aluminium that was lockable in place , when He got fed in the mornings he had the pop hole opened up to give him as much room as possible .

Every Saturday or Sunday he was put in his Mordant day pen the pop hole closed and the whole cage was cleaned then scrubbed in a weak Dettol solution and sprayed in a bit of clean solution once things had been rinsed off.
The cage was then refilled with barley straw &  Baylin was allowed access if & when he wanted.

In sub zero temps below minus 5 oC we simply did a scrape out rather than a full wash out . Our winters over there were from mid Nov to mid March with many a day well below 5 oC  , so come spring  everything got a super duper de gunge and disinfecting.

Re the covering of the cage
Myxi RHD and various other diseases are spread by fly /gnat /mozzie strikes on the animals bum , genitals or eye and ears area.

Keep things clean and make sure the dung heap or pee drain site are well away from the hutch ,  Cover the hutch before dusk arrives to keep them little beggars away.

Old Axminster carpet is brill as the carpet will fold easily one way and drop down close to the cage .
 In any case use a wooden "T " ( top bar to the top )  to hold the carpet to the cage somewhere around the bottom four inches & secure the top end by using several brick  , don't nail it on as it is easily moved when needed if it rots or gets damages etc. plus the brick can be used to hold it back when you lift it up each morning.

Rabbits will eat anything when hungry , frozen nor not so whatever grow in your garden is usually OK save for Rhubarb leaves , tomato & potato tops or banana skins which are poisonous .

Oven dried potato & other veg & fruit peelings  such as apple or pear peelings are a good stand by when greenery is hard to get because of deep snow . Mum use to put them in the oven on newspaper after she'd finished using the oven , I took them out the oven in the morning and put them in one of three  big old screw top sweet jars till they were needed .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS