Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with fly strike in his horns?  (Read 4997 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Lamb with fly strike in his horns?
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:02:17 pm »
I've got a ram lamb with maggots in the roots of his horns? How weird they have all had crovat :-/ he was due to slaughter a week today as well I have sprayed with fly and maggot killer? And all hair away

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
Re: Lamb with fly strike in his horns?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »
Sounds like head-fly, it can be a problem with horned sheep especially when the horns are large and close to the head.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »
How do I treat this?

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:44 pm »
Hi, we have horned sheep and when they have sores on the head covered in flies we just spray the sore with Alamycin Spray and then cover in a antiseptic black tar type substance meant for chickens. Works a treat and keeps the flies away.   
Fishy

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:55:08 pm »
Yeah as the horns grow you do sometimes get bits of blood or raw skin at the base, and the flies are attracted to it, and the sheep gets struck.  Also they will use their foot to scratch off flies, thus making the skin raw.
Crovect only works on the area that it applied, so you wont have applied it to the head I suspect.  Also it doesn't always work above 25 degrees C.
Remove all the maggots and eggs and clean it up, then cover in Stockholm tar.
If i see any blood on any of my lambs horns I get hem in and bung a blob of stockholm tar on it, it seals the wound and the smell keeps the flies off for a few days.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »
Battles maggot oil is good round the base of the horns - wear gloves, apply it with your hands and rub it in around the horn bases.

But yes, try to at least get the Crovect up the back of the head to the horns, avoiding spraying the eyes.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:55 am »
If he is going fat then use some battles maggot oil. If a while from being fat a squirt of crovect is the easiest and most effective option. I avoid using tar on the heads, great for cuts at shearing but next to useless around the horns.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:44:32 pm »
Sheep have glands in the base of their horns - it is the only place I have known Wilts Horns to be struck. I normally squirt a bit of crovect at them when I have them in for something else.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS