Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Escapees through electric fence  (Read 2726 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Escapees through electric fence
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »

We've installed some electric fence but we have some regular escapees. They don't seem to feel it at all? The others stay clear of it but these ones just wander right through!

I don't know what rating the energiser is but husband has touched the fence by accident a couple of times and says it gives quite a bite! It's polywire strung on electric fence posts, stands about 3ft tall (but they're not going over it they're going through it) with 4 or 5 strands in total per post.

Any suggestions?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Escapees through electric fence
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:50:50 pm »
I've had ones like that too, usually the clever ones who realise that if they run fast enough they can get through between the pulses. :)  Also had ones that jump over it too.
The only way I've found to combat this (both the running through and jumping over), is to get them to touch it with their nose (bribe them to come close to it with food).  It sounds cruel but it might be the only way. :)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
My horse didn't even respect our electric fencer, despite it giving me one hell of a shock when I touched it that left my arm numb.  He went over or through it so many times that on one occasion he ended up with one of the stakes piercing his sheath and giving him a nasty jagged rip injury  :o  Didn't bother to use it again with him  ::)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »
Use wire, not polyrope - wire gives much more of a kick. Wool pretty much insulates sheep against polyrope.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS