Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gloves, or lack of them..  (Read 5693 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Gloves, or lack of them..
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:29:35 am »
I'd been out on the roadside wall clipping back the prickly hedge in short sleeves for large chunks of yesterday, got over half done, and was obviously wearing thick gloves despite getting my arms scratched. 

Went to do a teatime check of ponies in the farthest field and on the way back spotted a few stray ragwort flowers that had sprung up since the field was sprayed in May, I hate that but the roots obviously recovered enough that it's a regular occurrence and I can keep on top of it that way.  Didn't have gloves on or with me and I know you're meant to wear them for ragwort as it's toxic through skin but I often don't.

I will in future tho, after my double grip (arthritis) landed around one unhappy bee  :o

The good news I suppose is that I am apparently not allergic to beestings in terms of anaphylactic shock - I've had wasp stings before but never a bee that I know of, so it's good to know  ::)

The bad news, other than knowing I'm a bee murderer  :-[ is that the sting is right on the finger tip of my 4th left finger and fingertips have lots of nerve endings  :-\   I suppose it's just as well I'm not married, for once it would have been a hindrance wearing a ring there, but on the other hand if I had someone to delegate/put in charge of field maintenance then maybe the spraying would have been more effective and the bee would have been pollinating something more useful than ragwort  ???

At least I can type this morning, that was a real concern, once falling over unable to breathe left the priority worry list  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Gloves, or lack of them..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
Ouch, ouch.  OH got stung on the face this week. Its not nice at all.
You have my sympathies
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:07:05 am »
Sounds. Very painful...it's been years since I was stung but I still remember the lasting pan and swelling.......they say bicarbonate onto the sting, not sure if its too late now though but worth a try :bouquet:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:57 am »
It's funny how different people react to bee stings. We keep bees so get stung fairly often. My missus reacts badly with pain, swelling and itching that sometimes lasts for days. I barely react at all. Sometimes after a few minutes pain I can't even find the spot I got stung on.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:18 pm »
Always check that the 'sting' is out , if still there remove by scraping with your finger nail . Don't grip with finger and thumb ! , you may grab the little sac and pump more poison in .
If you are allergic to stings you know what to do already . If you find out you are allergic seek medical help 'fast'!
If they just  sting and you are outside , rub a leaf of plantain on the sting area. Crush the leaf first and then gently rub the juice on the sting area after removing the sting .
Normal plantain (plantago major) works very well for stings and bites , as does ribwort (plantago lanceolata) .
For cuts and scratches the leaves of bistort (polygonum bistorta) will help stop bleeding and ease the soreness a bit , as will the plantain .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:07:42 pm by RUSTYME »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:22 pm »
Anyone got any pictures of these plants Russ mentions?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »
I react badly to Bee stings, usualy ends up with a trip to the hospital  ::) but ok with wasp stings.
Shame really as I would really like to keep bees
Graham

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »
www.altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm
that link gives pics and info Annie ,hope it works .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »
Aha, that's the things I've been pulling out of my gravel all summer!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:38:58 pm »
Lol , yes they grow everywhere mate . Worth leaving as many as you can though Annie , they are very handy to have about , and they really do work . Just don't pick any where the dogs go !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »
To add to Russ' advice, if you don't have any finger nails to speak of, use the edge of a bank card or similar.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
Or your trusty smallholder's knife of course.

Sorry to hear that Ellie, sounds painful!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: .
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:11 pm »
www.altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm
that link gives pics and info Annie ,hope it works .

Very informative - thank you rustyme.

It does mention amongst all the other effects 'cardiac' - now I wish they had been more specific as I wouldn't dare use it for anything else with my wonky heart, without knowing its exact effect and interactions with various meds.   Shame as it sounds a most useful plant - and I too have loads of it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:05:44 pm »
It is a must to check any herb if you are on any meds at all .
A herbalist would be the best to ask .
I can't find any warnings about platago m though , that doesn't mean there aren't any , just i haven't found them .
I did a test with a small cut and it works well , stopped the bleeding almost instantly .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:06:25 pm »
You can get a thing called an Aspivenin in chemists' shops.  You put a little plastic cup over the sting, fit on a thing like a  tiny bicycle pump, depress the plunger and it sucks up the area of skin and a few seconds later the sting itself comes out through the entry spot.  Brilliant and works every time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS