Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New home needed  (Read 6079 times)

debscooper

• Joined Aug 2013
New home needed
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »
I am very reluctantly looking for a new home for my five pet sheep, and wondered if anyone on here might be able to offer one to them? I have a six year old coloured Ryeland cross Portland ewe and her four year old 'lambs', one ewe and one wether - the result of an escaped ram getting into our field! Also, two five year old Hebridean ewes, They are all very tame. It has always been my intention to keep them for life, but ill health is making it increasingly difficult for me to care for them properly. I am in Cheshire. Can anyone help?

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: New home needed
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:19:59 am »
Wish I could help but already have far too many of my own. Wish you so much luck in finding them a lovely home. There are some good people out there. :fc:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:27:48 am »
I noticed that there is someone on the Preloved website looking for some sheep for keeping with their horses - not sure where they are located, but they appeared genuine from their advert that they were looking for pets only and not freebies for the freezer.   Good luck in finding a good home for them  :fc:

debscooper

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:20:31 pm »
Thanks for your comments - there are good people out there I know, but I am so worried about them falling into the wrong hands! I owe it to them to do the best I can in finding them a new home - they were supposed to be with me for life ...

Jac

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »
Hi Debs
I have a flock of Soay that your Hebridean ewes could join, they vary from 10 year old to 2 year old.
I spin their wool and knit so wouldn't mind a couple more primitives.  What colour are they? You're welcome to come over and check out our flock if u like?
Jo
Cheshire/ Staffs border

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:29:15 pm »
Wouldn't send sheep to be kept with horses.  Horses bully sheep and can run them ragged.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:45:53 pm »
Wouldn't send sheep to be kept with horses.  Horses bully sheep and can run them ragged.

Not necessarily. I have 5 sheep in with 5 horses, one of whom is a lively 2 year old.  They are perfectly happy together and don't bother the sheep at all.  I have the fence so that sheep can get under and away from the horses if necessary, but I often find them lying down comfortably in the "horse" area. 

Horses unused to sheep, however, can be a nuisance to them though and I have even heard of one instance when a farmer put new lambs in with strange horses and one of the horses stomped on the lambs!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »
My horse had never seen a sheep before he came to live with me but I have never had any trouble with him bullying the sheep or young lambs.  In fact, at one stage when the horse laid down in the field the lambs of a few weeks old would climb up on him and jump off again.  He is excellent with them all.  My previous horse also was very good with the sheep and lived happily with them for 18 years. 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »
That's such a sweet picture  :love:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »

Apparently, some racehorses have 'buddy' sheep that come/live with them to keep them calm etc

I'm not sure if the stableman was pulling my leg though....

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:29 am »
There is a point to point horse kept adjacent to my allotment. He has a few sheep kept with him for company. The horse goes bonkers if his pals are taken away. Last time this happened the neighing was so loud and persistent that the shepherd had to bring back the sheep or face being ostracised by the neighbours.
My own sheep share a field with a couple of Exmoor ponies without any problems.
Regards, Dave

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »
Our Exmoor shares grazing with sheep as she doesn't like being on her own, and it helps to stop the grass getting too much for her.  She is very gentle with them, lets them stand underneath her tummy with no problem, but, being an Exmoor she does have the occasional mad moment when she just gallops round.  This panics the sheep and for that reason I don't have them together when there are young lambs.  I really hope you find the right home for yours, sound like you may do.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Manda Lid

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:18 pm »
Hi Debs,
If Jo wants the Hebridean sheep,  I would love the other three, although I understand if you would prefer them to stay together.
I live in North Wales and they would have a home for life.
Manda

debscooper

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:52 am »
Thank you Jo and Manda for your offers of homes.
I have been very fortunate to find them a lovely new home all together!
They set off for pastures new yesterday - very sad but I know they will be well looked after by Sam, Katherine and Imogen.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:20 am »
That's good news  :thumbsup:

It's sad that you have had to let them go, but great that you have found them a lovely new home all together. :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS