Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So the cocker got the chooks!  (Read 4180 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
So the cocker got the chooks!
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:27:47 pm »
It was a matter of time but today I sat in the kitchen admiring the garden (just mown the lawn for the first time this year) who should spring in to view but the black cocker spaniel - yes - sporting a very ginger nose muff! On a second glance it was confirmed - Thomas, one of the four new chooks had been plucked from her bliss behind the chicken fence and was being paraded around the garden like a trophy. I shrieked, my husband shouted and our three year old burst into tears. The dog ran.
We decided on the softly, softly approach, a dish of food and eventually got either side of him. I was amazed that his jaw was locked tight. The chook looked inconvenienced but otherwise not too bad. I managed to push the dogs lips onto his own teeth until he let go.

Poor old Thomas seemed very quiet but I think apart from the loss of half a dozen feathers she will be OK.

My concern is what if I hadn't seen him - what would he have done with the bird? He does eat dead rabbits and foxes if he finds them but as far as I know has never killed anything - would he have done? I think he might have.

He is a complete handful - worse than the five children put together. 7 months old and working stock but sadly no chance of working here. A friend who shoots has offered to re-home him with someone who does shoot. I am normally at work full time as is my husband and the nanny copes (just!). I am not sure I am doing the best for him. He is a lovely dog but just needs so much more somehow. Any thoughts?

Sal

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: So the cocker got the chooks!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:38:17 pm »
Do you know anyone who has some geese...and a gander?!   Put him in with them and he may well learn to leave the (living) feathered varieties alone  ;)   My dogs give the geese an extremely wide berth as he comes at them wings fully extended and at a fair old lick.    No wonder the foxes keep out the way.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:32:12 pm »
i agree with the geese idea he wouldnt try it twice! our alsation ended up being terriffied of ours when we used to have them!  ;D

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
i guess thats one of those issues you will get with different "species" living together! - our jack russell gets very excitable when the chooks are around - she even went for lennin our cockerel ( until he turned around to face her!!) our young lab x (harvey) just bounces around in front of the chooks if they escape their run  - he has even flipped them back over their fence  with his nose on the odd occasion :D (more luck than judgement i think!)
the goose idea sounds good though
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS