Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: red bottom on hens  (Read 3309 times)

PJB

• Joined May 2009
  • Surrey England
red bottom on hens
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »
a couple of my hens have bald red bottoms. Is this a sign of mite?
Their combs are red and apart from the baldness they seem to be ok
I have treated hen house and the hens.
Anyone had similar problems? 

Thanks

PJB

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
Re: red bottom on hens
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »
Can be a signal that a prolapse might occur

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:33 pm »
Maybe lice? They tend to cluster on the feather shaft around the vent area so maybe the hens pull their feathers out??? Or just part of the moult? I don't think it's specifically a sign of mites although I have one Orpington who used to sleep in the nest box and I noticed she had bleeding from her vent one morning. Rushed her off to the vets in a panic but he said it was external only and then I noticed some mites. Treated her, creosoted the house et voila - no more injuries - think they were irritating her at night so she was pecking at herself to 'ease' the itching.

In conclusion, not much use!

H

PJB

• Joined May 2009
  • Surrey England
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »
Its difficult to tell isnt it, the hen does not seem in distress or anything but i will obviously keep a watchful eye.  I have just dumped an old wooded hutch/house i kept inside the hen run
in case the mites were living in this. The others seem ok though so i will just wait and see.
Thanks for the info.

PJB

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:44:24 pm »
Have you a cockerel? We have a few favourites which develop red bums due I think to 'overspray'.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »

We have noticed this due to feather pecking. I've seen them do it to each other! I've tried purple spray and all sorts but I think it's a bad habit they've got into.

They lay well normally (sometimes 5 eggs from 4 girls!) And seem lively and animated.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »
I've had some hens with red rumps when they moulted.  Most notably on a White Sussex. It appeared to be much the same as the red on the combs, not inflamation or infection at all on close inspection.  Most unsightly, but not a problem and the feathers grew back eventually, albeit surprisingly slowly.

Possibly the same thing if they seem happy enough?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS