Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck eggs  (Read 3300 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Duck eggs
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »
Well after 15 days of incubation the 12 duck eggs we bought on e-bay we had to get rid of the lot, all bad and I am so dissappointed. That's life I suppose.  :(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:56:48 pm »
Sabrina, don't let it put you off, you just keep trying. I wish you luck for the future, I have incubated eggs many times and it is such a joy.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:40 pm »
If my duck started sitting on 7th July am I right in thinking it should hatch about Tuesday if it's fertile?  Should I see any signs before that or do I just need to be patient?  She ahs started being quite vicious with me when I  look in the shed to check for hens eggs - pecking my hand and 'growling' at me. :)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:35:45 pm »
Annie, I think Tues or Wednesday if it's going to hatch. Good luck, she definately sounds protective enough. I hope you hear patter of tiny feet soon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:46:42 pm »
She's actually been sitting about 14 days longer.  She was sitting when I went away for the weekend in June, then it got stolen(magpies) so I put another two under her.  Then one of those went, so I hope for her sake there is something in this one or she is going to be one very sad duck when I dispose of it. :(  How long should I leave it after mid week?  And can I tell before Tuesday if anything is going to happen without disturbing Jemima.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
I think it probably best that you just stay completely away. Jemima should know herself if nothing is going to hatch and she would just get up and walk away herself - in my experience anyway. I will keep my finger crossed for you both.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:05:52 pm »
Annie, does she ever get up to eat or have a swim? If you catch that moment you can quickly and carefully candle the eggs like I described with a maglite torch under the jumper. We sprayed them each day with a tiny water pistol with warm water. I have no idea if they give up by themselves with some sort of inner clock. Ours was sitting on a lot more eggs than Jemima, she gave up after some of them hatched and she had to look after them. Maybe James is right - your shot! Good luck, I do hope it works!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:05:02 am »
She is quite fierce - I have a bite mark on my hand from yesterday ;)  She gets off the nest and comes out when she hears me feeding the others, that's when I pick up the hens eggs - but she comes fleeing in quacking like mad and I have to make a hasty exit.  I'm not scared of her, just don't want to upset her.  I think I'll just leave her till the end of the week - it's not long and she may go off sitting if she realises she's been there for about 6 weeks without anything happening.  What I won't/can't do is open the egg to see if anything was growing.  I could candle it I suppose.  Poor thing, every time she comes out of the shed, Jack tries it on with her and she beetles off swearing at him.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder I guess ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS