Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Male quail with swollen vent  (Read 3184 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Male quail with swollen vent
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
Hi everyone, I got back from holiday today, and while I was away my husband looked after my quail for me. We have one cock who doesnt usually crow very much but the last two nights he has started crowing at about 2am and hasnt stopped for a good couple of hours. We thought maybe there had been a fox around but today I noticed he looked like he was limping and when inspected has a really red swollen vent area. The area also looks quite bald. He has been laying foam balls like normal. For the last two day or so the birds have been on flubenet pellets for the first time (incase this might be relevant).

Apart from the crowing and limping he seems to be ok although I havent seen him mating since i got back from holiday Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Male quail with swollen vent
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:15 pm »
Sorry, never had that with mine though the males are very "active". Not sure if this could cause a problem.

Have given mine the medicated pellets whenever I've wormed the hens and had no problems .... though I'm not sure they are designed for quail!!!!

Is it worth separating him from the hens .... to give things a chance to settle?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:17:20 am »
Thanks in the hills, he didn't crow last night, thank god, as three nights in a row might have seen him in the pot. But his back end still looks swollen. I tried to separate him but he was very unhappy being away from his girls. I might try bringing him in the house if it hasn't improved any by this afternoon.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:11 am »
If you decide to try separation, he will probably settle after a day or so. We have moved our boys out from the girls because they needed a rest from all the male attention  ::) . Boys called for the first day but then settled down.

Might only need a few days.  :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
I checked my male that died and he had a swollen vent too - almost protruding like a prolapse.  But he hadn't been crowing much and seemed perfectly healthy the night before.  Just came in to the henhouse and he was lying there stiff.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:41 am »
oh dear, poor guy! I'll try bringing him into the house and see if a rest is needed. He does have 9 hens so maybe he is a bit over extended  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS