Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe that had a prolapse  (Read 10299 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Ewe that had a prolapse
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »
Vets will supply it, but probably cheaper from your local agricultural supplier. It is not a prescription only medicine.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 04:56:39 pm »
Anke,
she was born in 2011. Yes she will be kept away from the tup, no problem.
Is calciject something I need to get from the vet?

I would hazard a guess - was she a bit on the chubby side? Otherwise as a first-timer with a single she shouldn't have prolapsed. Just make sure she is leaner next time and see. You are also more prepared now that you know what it looks like and can deal with it quickly if it happens again.

If it happens again - definitely cull though.

You will need a thick needle for calciject injections, and warm it up a bit just before injecting - not quite so uncomfortable for the ewe. I don't know what doses you would give in that regime though.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »
Agricultural merchants around here (Countrywide, Wynnstay) stock Calciject.  I gave 10ml every 7 days for the month before mine was due to lamb.  I wouldn't lamb a ewe again if it had prolapsed after lambing - something very wrong there.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:32 pm »
Just thought I'd share my experience Sally. Our ewe, Iolanthe, had a vaginal prolapse, quite a substantial one, on her first lambing, a couple of years ago. It appeared a couple of weeks before she was due and we used a harness and spoon for the duration until she showed definate signs of labour. We were terrified of removing it in case everything spilled out in a massive way. OH had the experience all to himself in the wee small hours and bravely took all the contraption off/out and she lambed fine and reared beautifully. We gave her a year out from lambing and observed her with a little trepidation this year as she went through pregnancy again. She had not a hint of prolapse this year. You'll have to be careful to keep the balance right on feeding your girl prior to lambing as it's a well known fact that overweight ewes can be more prone to prolapses, but I'd say she's worth another go after a year out.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
I understand that a smallholder with only a few sheep may  have the time and desire to give a prolapsed sheep a second chance , but i have seen many sheep die from a cervixal prolapse tearing and the bladder/intestines coming out or the cervix opening slightly causing the lambs to die in the uterus leading to a very painfull birth or septaecemia . So i cull all prolapses when fit and never keep any lambs born for breeding , unfortunetly lambs born in previous years may go on to prolapse , by doing this iv'e gone from 4%+ to  -1% prolapses in 7yrs .  The reasons for prolapses are many and no one knows exactly why, breed type plays a big part , mules can be very bad, hill breeds  much much less .  Ewes producing pure bred lambs less likely than xbred lambs  .  It can be genetic and family members can prolapse  .  Body condition can be a cause overfat or too  lean but internal fat is considered to be a bigger cause  . Food types/ quantaties  and  mineral imbalances are also a cause

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS