Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Goat - Advice Please  (Read 1909 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Sick Goat - Advice Please
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:00:19 am »
I am new to goat keeping whilst having experience with other livestock. A few months ago I purchased a billy and 3 females. Its safe to say they had not been kept in the best of conditions.
About a month ago one of the females became ill, she is around 5.I initially thought she had bloat.
Vet came and she thought liver fluke, (she felt it came with her). Wormed all with a specific wormer and a course of antibiotics for her.
She showed significant improvement but has gone downhill again in the last 2 days. Back on a different antibiotic.
She looks in appearance like she is pregnant but I am sure this is not possible.
When initially diagnosed by the vet the inside of her eyelids were yellow and her stools a little too, which lead her to this diagnosise.
She is eating a little concentrate, hay, and a bit of grazing but not a lot.
Any comments appreciated, thanks   

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Sick Goat - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:48:10 am »
Your Vet is your best person to help...................the liver has had some damage which is giving the symptoms of Jaundice.
As she has had antibiotics, the gut flora have been  eliminated so get some LIVE yoghurt, not pasteurised, and using a dosing syringe, gently give it to her down the side of her mouth.   I would give at least 100ml twice a day   Live yoghurt has amazing properties and will often help a sick animal to eat properly.
Don't worry about the size of her belly.......that is the least of your concerns..........a goat that doesn't eat is a dead goat.   Find some Ivy leaves, bramble tips etc     some fresh green hay., choice branches, 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sick Goat - Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:54:03 am »
I would also give the a mineral/multi-vit drench, one which has copper in it too. other than that lots of TLC, greens, appples, bananas, carrots (cut into sticks not slices).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS