Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why don't foxes eat cats?  (Read 12463 times)

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
Re: Why don't foxes eat cats?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 11:23:50 am »
It would be handy if foxes did eat cats, we've lost far more poultry to feral cats than to foxes, we have opened nest boxes and found them feasting on the carcase and so has a neighbour. The bulk of a foxes diet is small rodents and birds. 10% of their diet is insects and invertebrates and they will eat berries etc too. If they didn't indulge in killing frenzies in poultry houses I suspect they wouldn't have such a bad reputation.
I guess the short answer is that cats are better scrappers.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:50 am »
The bulk of a foxes diet is small rodents and birds. 10% of their diet is insects and invertebrates and they will eat berries etc too. If they didn't indulge in killing frenzies in poultry houses I suspect they wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

Unfortunately they do also take lambs  >:(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:06 pm »
We lost 3 kittens recently and I am suspecting the fox   :'( 

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:47 pm »
30 years ago we used to get the council pest control men into my shop to buy dog food - whatever people now think about dog on animal, back then they used terriers to locate the foxes, hold them at bay and the men would dig down to get at and "remove" the fox if it was causing a nuisance. It was a legitimate part of council pest control. According to them, foxes would certainly take cats and all the evidence was there. It left a lasting impression on me as a young teenager. (So did the men - funny old characters!!) Having said this, I saw my big Tabby (in his prime) see off two nearly full grown foxes at the same time out of next door's garden last year.  It was an impressive sight.  Foxes will always look for an easy option first.
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 07:32:29 am »
Foxes will go for young, small, weak or elderly cats, same as they'd pick out the most vulnerable animal out of any group of potential prey animals. A big healthy cat with a bit of attitude will see off a fox though, foxes don't want the hassle of a major scrap with anything that will do damage. I saw our cat Missy see off a dog fox from HER garden once, Missy wasn't particularly large but we didn't call her Pissed Off Missy for nothing.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 06:14:38 pm »
we didn't call her Pissed Off Missy for nothing.
lol.

Similarly, our Scarey Cat Jacob (RIP, the small furries of the neighbourhood were much relieved)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:34 pm »
I never see the point in killing foxes as another will just move into it's territory as soon as it is gone - unless it gives some temporary relief until the newcomer discovers the easy pickings or gets braver. I reckon that if we make it as difficult as possible for the fox to get our livestock he will go where there are easier pickings instead. It seems to be working so far ..... lets hope I didn't just tempt fate saying that  :fc:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 07:49:13 am »
I agree Julie,  not that I'm sentimental about seeing off mr fox, but the way to protect my livestock is to protect my livestock.  We, like many I'm sure live with foxes everywhere as well as a large population of badgers (we have a sett on our land and were rather hoping they might start the pilot cull in our field). My neighbour down the lane currently is chicken less- having recently been cleared out for the 3rd time in less than 4 years. We, in the same time have lost precisely 0 hens to predators. Our hens live in fort knox, a huge 7 ft high run that took me months to build but  keeps them safe from mr fox. At lambing despite our sheep being more than capable of lambing outside we keep all lambs in for first few days until they find their legs and   can outrun the badger

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »
I keep my poultry for pleasure, to see them enclosed bothers me as much as it does them, last year the fox came early evening 8-8.30pm, early june so still sunny, just about wiped everything out, I gave the remaining call duck to a friend, hatched a few eggs so I now have 3 hens, who are free range, they are fastened in a large weldmesh cage at night, but when a fox comes so early it needs dealing with, (and it was, a large dog fox).
But coming back to cats, thats the only thing that could have taken our little girl, I will admit she was smallish and grey, but about 7yr, and used to playing with the dog maybe she didn't realise the danger, (though that would surprise me as she normally disappeared at the sight of anyone strange) but the worrying thing was how close to the house the fox must have been, within minutes of the sound of my voice, as I talked to her as I let her out. How I wish I hadn't given in to her that night and let her out. I have since seen fox scat within 3 feet of the house  :( .
While not a supporter of hunting I do believe they need controlling, as the numbers rise they will turn to other prey to survive. Maybe in a garden situation other people may be feeding them so they aren't as hungry?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 04:07:55 pm »
Technically there's no escaping the fact that our hens are enclosed but the run is so large and planted with trees and bushes that I genuinely believe it  gives them a fabulous but safe home. It also allows us to enjoy our lovely girls for many years as well as grow veg and have an intact garden.  This time of year I have them out with me in the veg patch as there's little damage they can do. After an hour or so of total freedom they usually head back in to where they feel safe. I'd never forgive myself if I simply allowed the fox to pick them off one by one

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS