Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Green Manure  (Read 1879 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Green Manure
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »
My veg garden has been decimated by Rabbits despite being made like Fort Knox it is no good if you leave the gate open >:(

I might as well cut my losses and dig over most of the beds.  However quite confused over the multiple varieties of green manures.

Are they all just Nitrogen fixers or do they differ from what they add to the soil.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Green Manure
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »
Off the top of my head - lupins, field beans and clover are all nitrogen fixers, but they are not hardy so need to be grown over the summer (except white clover) and dug in in the autumn.

Grazing rye, phacelia and mustard are bulkers to add humus to your soil - the others also add humus of course as well as nitrogen.  Mustard is a brassica so you need to be careful where you plant it in your rotation, but it can help to rid your ground of cut worms (think it's cutworms) which feast on it then go off to pastures new to lay more eggs, leaving your garden alone.    Grazing rye grows absolutely enormous and can become difficult to dig in, so cut it down before it gets too tall and mature, and don't try to overwinter it.   Phacelia is meant o be dug in before it flowers, but the bees and insects love it so much I always end up letting it flower.

There are some more but I forget them.

Which are you thinking of trying?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:51:07 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Re: Green Manure
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:14:39 am »
Clover is the easiest to grow and is high in nitrogen i have it growing on my lawn and field and the hay i got this year from the field was really good thanks to the clover!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS