Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to take chicks away from broody  (Read 2316 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
when to take chicks away from broody
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »
Hi
I have 4 chicks with their surrogate mum and they are 5 weeks old today. I am thinking ahead to when I have some new growers arriving in a couple of weeks and my available housing-after a period of quarantine I'd like all the growers together. Is it mean to just take them away from the hen, will there be signs that she's fed up of them etc etc?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: when to take chicks away from broody
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »
In my experience it depends on the hen. Some will start to "drift" them at around 7 or 8 weeks, others co-exist happily with chicks that haven't fitted under them for weeks.  I move mine off when the chicks are well feathered up and I have the space available for them.  Gives the hen a chance for a rest (and often a moult) before the colder weather.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »
Agree with MF. In my experience it has been the hen who is the first to go round here. Our speckledys seem to be in the habit of just hopping over the pen fence when they have had enough.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:00:25 pm »
its a completely enclosed run so she can't get away from them, she doesn't seem bothered atm although she's objecting at being used as a springboard!. they are all feathered up nicely, I would just like to be able to put her in a bigger run for a bit with a pal to get back some fitness and have a bit of a rest, build her up a bit before putting her back with her peers.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »
If you have  well sheltered coop under cover the chicks should be fine.  Ours start off in the incubator, spend 3 weeks in the living room then spend of couple of days without a heat lamp to acclimatise them to less heat before going outside.  No problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS