Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crime and related Punishment  (Read 10228 times)

sandy

Re: Crime and related Punishment
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:08 pm »
My dad never told me off,my mum did but I respected them too much and felt too guilty to do anything wrong.

Depending on the type of crime,  don't really think convicted or caught criminals actually think of the punishment too much, a bit like me not thinking about getting fatter when I tuck into loads of crisps. If you have a "talent" for burglary or car theft and you don't get caught and live well off the proceeds then, you will take your chance. In violent crimes I doubt very much if someone pulls a knife out that they think "Oh, not going to use this as I may get put into prison and thats horrid" they just are compelled to use the knife. I think (only my view) that we all could be criminals but are able to stop ourselves, I have been in some hairy situations where I could have defended myself and hit back however ineffective that would have been but, I am a calm person for whatever reason and am able to rationalise things very quickly so would not retaliate, even when someone cuts you up on a car or pushes you in a crowd... >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 01:06:29 pm »
To Hilarys Mum

You brave woman you  :o

All my Victorian Dad had to say to me was "Hey You" and I would be in floods of tears. 

Julie
My Dad was a Pipe Major in a well known Scottish Regiment and he had my sister and I well under control.  He never ever hit us, but we wouldn't have ever thought of stepping out of line and had a 10.30 deadline too - until i got engaged then it was extended to 11pm!!!!!  I don't think it did me any harm except my childhood was probably a little too sheltered.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:41 pm »
My childhood was not sheltered, we used to have psychicatric patiants to tea on weekends, Nurses from different countries as lodgers, tips to the "Looney Bin" sorry not PC and a very strange foster sister!!!!

sandy

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »
Ops, when I said trips to the psychiatric unit,  meant mum was a nurse there so used to visit to pick her up with my dad, go to Fates, parties, cinema and hairdressers there as it was huge...didn't do me any harm? :sausage: :banana: :banana:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:09 pm »
That's your opinion Sandy ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(only joking - just couldn't resist  ;D  Julie

sandy

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 05:44:32 pm »
Ummmmmmmmmmm how did that sausage smiley get in with the bananas? Maybe I should keep my glasses by the computer ;D

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 05:49:02 pm »
My Dad was a Pipe Major in a well known Scottish Regiment and he had my sister and I well under control.  He never ever hit us, but we wouldn't have ever thought of stepping out of line and had a 10.30 deadline too - until i got engaged then it was extended to 11pm!!!!!  I don't think it did me any harm except my childhood was probably a little too sheltered.
[/quote]

I agree with the last line - Too Sheltered - I was so naive, and I took a lot of knocks and got taken for a lot of rides over time because of it :'( :'(

Mum always told me you should never lie, so I never did ::)  I was an only child for most of my life so didn't have anyone else to discuss things with at home - so parents word was rule etc.

What she forgot to tell me is that not everyone else lived by this rule ::)

So there I goes believing everything people tells me for years :'( :'(

Parents have a lot to answer for sometimes - and even when they have done their very best, they often make unforseen mistakes that can hurt and mislead kids into being very insecure and unconfident.  I was wrapped in cotton wool and not told the truth of people and how they behave, believing everyone was nice and wouldn't harm you.

Once I left home I had a very hard trip into reality - I am not doing the same with my little girl - shes going to be prepared, tough and ready to deal with stuff, and know the truth.

Julie
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:17:13 am by Tullywood Farm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
I agree, Julie.  I was so naive - didn't have my first date until I was 17 - and it was a blind one as my friends took pity on me.  I went with him for 6 months then got bored although everyone thought we were going to get engaged and married.  I think I had a lucky escape as years later I found out he had run off with his secretary and left his wife of 15 years and two kids.  Both my kids went away to uni at 17, I insisted on them going away so tehy would learn to stand on their own feet and make their own mistakes.  It worked and they are great adults to have around me. Especially now I've moved closer to them.  The only thing I regret is their Dad and Stepdad not seeing the success they have made of their lives.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 12:07:14 am »
I know the death penalty is an imotive subject...... however I feel if it is only passed in the most severe cases then it should be used;

for exmple

women kills husband

defence claim, he had beaten her for years and she snapped,
police claim she did it for insurance money 1 million quid

sentance ... life behind bars

Stephan ??? (cant remember his last name)
supposed to have killed a young girl, later found innocent

he had learning difficulties, life behind bars

Fred and rosemary west

Total nut case's, killed not only young women, but also their own children
No defence against such crimes

Peter sutcliff
Killed many young women, again total nutter

Ian Braidy, Myra hindley
tourched and killed young children and tapped what they did
No defence, again total nutters

If common sence is used when sentancing and people have killed more than once and enjoyed the crimes they have commited, then how can they be rehabilitated?

As I said before some people are just plain BAD. They have no compassion and feed on the fear and pain of their victims and each crime becomes worse and worse. They plan how to make the next crime worse and evolve with each murder and scream of their victims.

To be honest hangimg would be too good for people like this!

I think the way to look at it is if someone torchered your child for hours, raped, beat and satanically cut them up, what would you want to happen to them?

If you knew your child had done the above to someone, how would you feel?

For me it would be the same answer, I would want them dead! I love my children and would die defending them, however if they turned into something evil....................

And to an earlier question, YES I could quite easily be the hangman if these people had hurt me or mine!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 07:55:30 am »
Not against the death penalty but - once they are dead punishment ends.  If they are incarcerated for life and it means life, no matter how comfy the prison, all hope goes.  Better punishment imho.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 08:23:54 am »
HM

it costs more to keep these animals behind bars than most people earn. they are behind bars yes, but they live in solitry because other inmates might harm them, or be harmed by them. they have colour tv !!! own toilet!!

my father in law was a prison officer and 'looked after' some of the worst, they have no concept of punishment and saw it as another extention of their personality still being in the limelight and writen about. they feed off the publicity of their notariaty.

they do understand what they did was wrong, and publicity is their substitute for not being able to kill again.

sandy

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:30 am »
Not only is prison "home" for some people it is a type of security!!! to be looked after, bills paid, food found etc etc. I too used to sometimes have to visit young offenders units, horrid places, a lot of young people commit suicide due to peer pressure, I also worked in a remand unit, most of the 12 people in it were sex offenders,  some have mental  health problems (can't spell the name where people change personalities!) so their medication was monitored to prevent them offending. I do not like "playing God" even with those totally evil people, they should face everyday being reminded of what scum they are.I believe prisons should be very restricted places, clean, airy but without the extra comforts afforded to outside life and that in some way, all prisoners earn their keep, if it's only keeping the prison clean and painted.  Not sure if it would be a good idea or not to deport the worse to "Alcatraz" type environment and even that would give some prisoners that extra status in life!!!!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:11 am »
Agree Sandy

I lived with a schitzophrenic for a while and they can be very dangerous - at the time I did not know how ill the person was, but on reflection my life was in danger on more than one occasion - and since I believe in Guardian Angels as I am sure I should not be here - but thats another story.

A lot of people with serious problems are on medication and living happily at home - but what if one day they forget to take it?  You cannot control some on medication - a lot of people have gone into schools and shot and killed several people, and caused others trauma and nightmares for the rest oftheir lives - some only 4 year olds who have seen their teachers shot in front of them, and their classmates - the gunmen often were on medication for schitzophrenia and depression.

Scary Scary - I have been involved and tried to help some sufferers, and one in particular used to say to me "Don't try to understand me Julie - you will never understand me"  the only true words he ever spoke.

Julie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS