Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: North Devon Show  (Read 2182 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
North Devon Show
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:29:01 pm »
I'm new to the Devon area and thought I'd go to the North Devon Show next week.

Anyone else going?  Or been before?

I've been looking at the website and disappointed to see there aren't any pigs.....well apart from the ones they are racing!!!

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
Re: North Devon Show
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:33:43 pm »
Hi Julie,
As a fellow devon dweller (North Devon in my case), I can recommend the NDS. There is not as much to do as at, say, Mid-Devon Show, but it is very family friendly. I am sure that there were a few pigs there last year, but that could have just been small children covered in mud, as the weather was about as good as it has been this year!
However, on the pig front, the majority of the pig producers that I know in this area breed for meat rather than showing, and you tend to end up with only one or two exhibitors at the shows throughout Devon (particularly with Berkshires, my breed of choice, where Ian and Maggie Todd win everything as they are the only ones who enter!!). However, the rest of the show is generally great fun, with the majority of people who are showing their animals being more than happy to talk to you about them.
Also, there is quite a variety of trade stands. Just hope that there is a bit of dry weather between now and next wednesday, or else take a good pair of wellies, as the site gets very muddy......
Cheers - have a nice time. I can't make it this year, but happily, can get to Honiton show on the Thursday..
Cat.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
Many thanks Cat.

I only moved here in March, so will be good to have a look around at what is going on.

Looking forward to seeing all the animals too. 

I've got 25 chickens and my Gloucester Old Spot pigs coming along.   Some more GOS on their way, and some OSB in the New Year.  I've definitely fallen in love with pigs!

Now trying to decide what else to get.  Sheep?  Dexters?   I'm sure I'll get some ideas next week.

Let's hope we do get some dry weather now...We've certainly had more than our fair share of rain these last few weeks!

Hope to catch up with you at a show sometime.

Julie

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:13:45 pm »
Hi Julie,

I'm a Gloucester and Tamworth breeder, so share your love of our porcine pals...I also breed Dexter cattle and have Shropshire, Texel and Southdown sheep and will soon be taking delivery of some Balwen sheep...if you are thinking of expanding I'd recommend Dexters and Southdowns...wonderful animals that will give you hours of pleasure and a great return on your investment.  Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck.

Farmer
 :farmer:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:49:54 am »
Thank you Farmer.

Sounds like you're very busy.  I'll let you know what I decide.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS