Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bowled over collie dog.  (Read 6559 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
A bowled over collie dog.
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:08 pm »
My poor 12 year old collie managed to get herself bowled over by the retrievers yesterday in their haste to go for a run. Last night she had a slight limp on her back leg, this morning she wouldn't hardly put it to the floor, so off to the vets we went. :(
After examination by the vet, she thought that she might  have popped her stifle joint and has put her on 10 days of painkillers with strict exercise of lead only toilet breaks. As she was already due to have some work on her teeth next week, she is going to have that x rayed at the same time and a small lump on her side removed. It's typical that she could have done all of this Friday, but sods law we are going away this weekend and have arranged cover for the holding and booked hotels etc.
If she has injured that joint, or even her hip she will have to go to another vet pratice for that operation if needed. I can see ££££signs going out of the door. :'(
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: A bowled over collie dog.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »
Poor you and poor old girl.  I have that problem too  ::)   Mine are manic the second I go towards the door.  I've learnt my lesson though - taken a while  :innocent:  I make them all sit 6 feet back from the door and release them one at a time.  Doesn't stop them taking a flying leap off the deck onto the grass but it stopped the jostling. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »
I dread something like that, to me or the dogs!! I hope she improves and its only a strain......I tell mine to "calm down" and they do................eventualy :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:32:11 pm »
Oh no Karen. Its awful to have happened in the first place but very bad timing for you. Lets hope it turns out not to be too serious  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:22 pm »
Poor love  :-* I hope it mends quickly and doesn't cost £££££.

I need to calm mine down - mine you, it's the 12 year old collie who's one of the worst  :D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:28:18 pm »
It's her own fault really. We have a set of gates one to stop them getting out onto the main drive and another into the woods along which is a post & rail fence. Being a bright collie she figured out that by squeezing herself out through the post & rail fence as soon as they were let out the first set of gates she could wait at the other side of the gate into the woods and taunt them into the fact that they were still inside the garden.
It didn't pay off this time, she had cellulitis only a couple of months ago and then we have only just got the retriever rightish after having wet excemya .
 I'm having an awfully Annus horribilis. We had my Mum die, Hubbys Mum Die and his Mum's last remaining sister die all within 6months. Hopefully things might improve :fc: It seems to be one thing after another.
Have to wait and see how she gets on next week.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:38:08 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:30:39 pm »
Poor Kaz, you've had more than your fair share of bad stuff.  Hope she's better soon and that it's juts a strain or sprain.  :fc:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »
Hi

Poor you, not much I can really say to help but I'm sending a virtual hug and crossing my fingers and toes that things start to take a happier direction soon   :hug: :hug:

K

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:38 pm »
Thanks. Looking on the bright side things can only get better.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:44 pm »
Sending hugs, and hope things start to look up  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »
Have decided to let her have her x ray, teeth and lump removal tomorrow rather than wait until next week as the sooner we know whats what the better. :fc:  Will have to travel after we have collected her from the vets. It's lucky my son is covering for us, as he is quite willing to keep an eye on her and sort any problems if they arise.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:13:20 pm »
Hope it all goes well  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
Good luck! Hopefully its only a partial tear.. They respond well so rest, painkillers and physio.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
 :fc:  for her.

Try not to let it spoil your weekend, sure she will be in good hands with your son.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
Just spoken to vet and we have got to pick up our dog in a little while.
No tear or anything on that joint that she can see on the x ray, but it looks like her cellulitis has flared up in her back leg now as is was quite swollen this morning. She has had most of her teeth out and will come home with a stiff dose of antibiotics. She thinks the infection might be caused by her teeth.  :fc: That they can clear it this time as it appears to be very painful.
Have spoken to my son and he is o.k. with giving her a bit of tender love & care. He's a animal person his oh can't stand dogs. We will have so see how she gets on. I feel very guilty leaving her this weekend :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS