Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: public liability insurance  (Read 5753 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
public liability insurance
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:52:56 am »
I have just noticed that if I enter anything into my local show I need public liability insurance. Does anyone have it and is it expensive?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: public liability insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:13:37 am »
We have it as part of the general farm insurance for the business.

Might it be part of your normal household insurance?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:39:53 am »
I do for my soap etc - am insured up to 2 million. Its under £100 a year. Is it for livestock though in your case rather than produce?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:05:14 am »
I have it as part of my house/smallholding insurance with NFU. I think it covers things like the sheep getting onto the road and causing an accident or whatever.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:40 am »
Sally
what are you showing?
Many of the breed societies hold public liability for its members, one of the benefits of the GOS pig club is this very thing so its worth asking depending what you're showing. We also have similar insurance with the NFU too but think thats more for animals aescaping off our property and doing damage.
hth
Mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:17 am »
I had to take out a separate policy to cover our market stall. I think it's 2 million cover and it cost about 70 quid.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:32 pm »
Mandy,
I am thinking of showing 2 of my lambs. I have checked the Ryeland website and there is no mention of membership covering insurance. Guess I had better ring the NFU to be on the safe side.

thanks everyone
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »
its just to cover you Sally... if one of your lambs where to escape and knock down a fence making mrs jones fall in front of a mobility scooter causing her great dis-stress .... and the mobility driver ploughing into a crowd stood by the beer tent..then you know you will be covered ....

I use the NFU for work..mine is about £220 a year..but that is for hospital and airport work and they cover me for £5 million

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »
We have it to cover guests staying in the farm holiday cottage and workmen on the farm.  If we do anything like hosting an open farm visit I always e:mail the NFU to let them know, just so I've covered all the bases.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:03:01 pm »
I have public liability for my sheep anyway - and it seems to cover showing although thats not my main reason for having it.

I got it through the NFU, but co-op do it too, I believe.

alsun

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Templecombe
  • My Dream Land
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 07:11:13 am »
I think there is a market traders insurance try a search
Share my land !

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:58 am »
i wouldnt be without insurance in todays culture. iv already had one fraudalent claim against me so i dont trust anyone. animals are unpredictable so definitely should be insured for 3rd party.
we are with NFU.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 11:54:51 pm »
we have market traders liability insurance but then none of what we have it for is likely to run into the road or knock down a child...... :sausage:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS