Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig feed for sow weener to finisher  (Read 2450 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
pig feed for sow weener to finisher
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:13 pm »
hay all im move my pigs from sow and weener to finisher both farm and gate do i need to mix the feed or can i go straight over????

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: pig feed for sow weener to finisher
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:17 pm »
i would just mix half a bag of each together - saves any worrying about dodgy bellies and only takes a minute.
compare the ingredients to see how different there are to eachother. introducing barley too quickly can give them the runs.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:58:43 pm by shygirl »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »
I've moved straight over in the past when my supplier was out of stock, youngsters & adults, with no upset bellies.  But probably better to go with Shygirl's recommendation if you can.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:19 pm »
We don't use different feeds for different ages. Ours get Marriages sow cubes right from starting on hard feed until they're finished. Makes things a lot simpler when all the pigs are on the same feed just the amounts that differ.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:30:48 am »
We don't use different feeds for different ages. Ours get Marriages sow cubes right from starting on hard feed until they're finished. Makes things a lot simpler when all the pigs are on the same feed just the amounts that differ.
Ditto we go all the way thro on sow weaner 16% protein nuts Thompsons of York, pigs do really well on them finishing at 22-24wks.
Mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »
Yes the feed we use is 16% protein. We've just sent the first of a litter of saddlebacks off today at 21 weeks. They have grown very well indeed. Plus I've found it quite easy to achieve a good carcass through controlling their feed intake as they get bigger.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS