Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: POISONOUS PLANTS  (Read 7724 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
POISONOUS PLANTS
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:06 am »
I'm just having to move my ewes to a new field which hasn't had sheep in - it has had horses in sometime ago and has been cut for hay. As I walked round the field after it had been cut for hay I did notice some Cuckoo Pint sometimes called Lords and Ladies or Arum Lily. I wondered if that was poisonous? There were also some umbelliferous plants that looked like hedge parsley but bigger - I'm not sure about that?  Does anyone know of a good list that tells you which plants are poisonous to sheep? Thank you 
4 pet sheep

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: POISONOUS PLANTS
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:27:50 am »
L&L - poisonous yes, esp the berries, but the sheep won't eat them.
I tend to pull them all up before they produce berries in order to keep them under control.

Of course if there is no other grass or food then they may be tempted to eat them as a last resort, and that would apply to any other poisonous plant.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:55:02 am »
Its interesting to see that Ivy is on the list.  When my ewes were in for lambing someone said to tempt them with some ivy leaves.  My ewes loved them and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. Mind you I was only picking a few at a time.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »
I've always been told that sheep would eat ivy as a medicinal plant when feeling off and was actually good for them in small quantities.  :thinking:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
Ivy leaves are ok afaik, but the berries are poisonous, certainly for goats anyway so probably the same for sheep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lambsy divvy.  My father used to sing that one to me.  Roughly translated it's Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.  My poultry polishes it off with gusto.

Plant to beware of is wild St John's Wort as it can cause photosensitisation which is most uncomfortable for the sheep.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:25 pm »
Thank you for the replies - I'll look up St.John's Wort. My sheep love ivy!!
4 pet sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lambsy divvy.  My father used to sing that one to me.  Roughly translated it's Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. 

......a kidleydivey too wouldn't you  ;D  is the rest of it.   I think it was part of a song way back when;  my Mum used to say it too..
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »

Daffodils are poisonous to sheep as Belle the devil Soay found out this spring she was frothing at the mouth and having stomach cramps, serves her right for ignoring boundary fences and dykes.
She got a large dose of Castor Oil and muscle relaxants from the vet.

I'm really surprised to see honeysuckel on the list EP90 I didn't know that one I'm glad I do now thanks!

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:35:08 pm »
As with lists for enumerating poisonous plants regarding poultry, always best taken with a pinch of salt because many medicinal plants make it onto the list too, often without any deaths proven to their names. There is plenty of old information detailing their uses to treat common farm ailments, which though skeptical on average I have tested whenever confronted with a disease, and found holds true.

Ivy (Hedera Helix) is an old birth-aid and internal cleanser. Was used in treatment of Dropsy, fevers, retained afterbirth, etc. Just a few leaves were the prescribed dose for a sheep sized animal, like you mentioned your animals ate. It strengthens the reproductive system. But there are several types and one is toxic.

St John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) is also a potent medicine, was used for Hodgkin's disease, Dropsy, rheumatic issues and wounds, worms, and in Germany doctors still prescribe it as an antidepressant to humans, because asides from the photosensitivity it doesn't have the side effects other antidepressants do. It's sold for human consumption in many countries even though most people don't know what it is or how to use it.

As always, too much of any good thing is fatal. Can't have too much oxygen, water, or whatever. ;) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS