Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keratitis  (Read 1329 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Keratitis
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:38 am »
 :wave:

We have been looking for a companion for our Greyhound Amy, due to my Lab X having lymphoma.

We have seen a couple of dogs so far, but the one with the best nature is a Greyhound  :dog: called King.  He showed no interest in the ducks, chickens, sheep or Gizmo the kitten rubbing his head on his jaw!  The pigs were interesting though.  He was very calm and quiet.  Very affectionate though.

The only problem is he has Keratitis, an autoimmune condition which needs continuous treatment.  At the moment it is just drop in his eyes, but he is also losing all the outer surface on his nails (we would have to make sure they all came off cleanly).  The greyhound trust we would be adopting him from would pay for all his ongoing treatment for his eyes.

I have always said that I am more interested in the temperament of the dog, but my husband is worried about giving us another job to do every day and what could go wrong in the future.

Any advice or has anyone had a dog with this issue before? 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Keratitis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:39 am »
Raine, can't really help with specifics since haven't come across this condition but will just say that after just having no option but to have a puppy PTS there are no guarantees ..... even if you go for an 8 wk old health checked pup.

Have had lots of retired gundogs and yes as they get older or if they come with existing conditions there is commitment financially and timewise but also if you can see that dog suits you it will also bring much pleasure. We never know what's around the corner even with young, healthy looking dogs.

King sounds like a super dog. (Do have a soft spot for greyhounds  :love: )

:fc:  with making the right decision for you all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS