Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Posting lamb boxes  (Read 3809 times)

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
Posting lamb boxes
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »
Hi

I have a friend who wants to a lamb box (well hogget) from me.  The only issue is he is in Scotland and we are in the SE.

I have found insulated shipping boxes which if I was buying only one would be £12 and postage (next day before 12) is £12.

Does anyone do this regularly?

Do you have any good suppliers of boxes?

I was going for a 15kg box - is this OK for a shetland hogget?

How many ice packs should I buy and what is the best way to pack it to ensure it arrives cold and ready for the freezer?

Are there any  regulations I should know about?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks

Louise

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Posting lamb boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »
we were going to do this with pork and spoke to the EH. they told us to do dummy runs with the post so we could check the arrival temperature, they also told us to send it frozen, and vacuumed packed.
we never got any further than speaking about it. we were tempted to buy something from jimmys farm and copy their way of posting meat  :innocent:
the bigger the amount the slower it is to cool down.
goodluck. let us know how it goes.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:00 pm »
Sorry, but seems to me like coals to Newcastle.... there are loads of small-scale producers up here in Scotland and it would make so much more sense for your friend to find someone locally and buy fresh hogget that s/he could pick up from a local butcher and freeze at home... something about food miles methinks...

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:24:05 am »
I use http://www.jbpackaging.co.uk/ a 15kg poly box is only a couple of quid, and they deliver fast. they also sell ice packs I bought a sheet of 20 non hydrated strips for about £3 and that was enough to cover my 15kg package bottom and top and it stayed frozen for nearly 48hrs.
With the non hydrated strips you soak them for 10mins then stick them in the freezer. I cant recommend the company higher and I will use them in the future.
Hope this helps
Lea

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:04:30 am »
I bought some of these, meat arrived as it left! http://3rsustainableproducts.co.uk/products/woolcool-boxes/

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:13 am »
I use http://www.jbpackaging.co.uk/ a 15kg poly box is only a couple of quid, and they deliver fast. they also sell ice packs I bought a sheet of 20 non hydrated strips for about £3 and that was enough to cover my 15kg package bottom and top and it stayed frozen for nearly 48hrs.
With the non hydrated strips you soak them for 10mins then stick them in the freezer. I cant recommend the company higher and I will use them in the future.
Hope this helps
Lea

We've just had and used these too and would recommend no problem

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:00 pm »
Thank you for your replies. 

Do you send it chilled or frozen?

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
I sent mine frozen, but the choice is yours as the ice packs will keep the meat chilled as though in the fridge.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:45 am »
Notwithstanding food miles, it's a very nice idea to have some food produced by a friend or relative, and lots of companies who sell via the internet post food around the country.  I'm considering this for my son who lives in the south (we're in scotland) and thanks to you guys for the info. I'm going to give it a go.  Prob. wait until the weather cools down just a bit though!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS