Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meezers  (Read 2517 times)

Woollysocks

• Joined Jul 2013
Meezers
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
hiya,
iv had my heart set on getting a Siamese cat for many years and am considering putting my name down on a kitten list. they seem awfully expensive now, about £450 each  :thinking:
so im trying to justify the price to myself. iv never had a pedigree cat before and am feeling guilty about not offering a home to a rescue kitten instead.
it will be a neutered farm cat / pet.

has anyone had a Siamese before? iv heard they will follow you like a dog (our ginger cat does this already) and are fab hunters and very intelligent.
any meezer experience out there?
thankyou !
 :wave: :wave:
"No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." - Abraham Lincoln

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Meezers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »
I hadn't had one myself but know there are some mental? Problems from experience of friends.
They are VERY vocal and I mean VOCAL! Unfortunately some have some sort of mental problem about being left alone or just howling and stressing for no unknown reason.

One friend took on a lovely, friendly lad with such problemsmthinking itnwas behaviour and attention but being a vet nurse soon rwalisedmit was mental.
Spraying and litter training is a problem with some.

This is a very mild insight to the breed so get lots of other experienced opinions  ;)
Others I have heard are as loyal asmany dog but want for nothing.
Research and reach for your dream  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:10:42 pm »
Are there Siamese rescue organisations? Maybe that's the way, so you feel good about rescuing a cat and also not have to pay so much!

There are. Here is one: Siamese rescue
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:12:55 pm by jaykay »

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:51 am »
Most of the Oriental breed of cats are unlike any other in their behaviour and health problems. Siamese tend to be long lived, very affectionate but do suffer from stress and separation anxiety.

They are very vocal as said prev, like they shout with a yowl about everything, all the time. My La Perm used to drive me nuts! He would yowel and moan about everything. How he ever caught anything, I don't know, as he used to find a mouse, shout really loudly, then pounce on it.

They like to climb and get into everything and knock it over to see whats in it. I could never have anything on the mantel piece as it would quickly be on the floor. They are very cleaver and can be taught tricks and behaviours just like dogs, it is good to teach them things as they love the mental stimulation. They can be destructive when board, chewing wires or shoes or removing the wallpaper.

Such personalities. They are sooo lovely! Have a look at the rescue centres, sometimes they have pedigree cats in there. Personally I prefer Burmese or Burmillas as they are a bit more laid back.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:43 am »
I have a Si/Cornish rex and her Siamese personality overshone the rex! she was vocal and very clingy. However I now have a Siamese X moggie and she is fabulous!! not clingy at all, she is the ultimate mouser/ratter and a great family pet t'boot.
I would seriously recommend a siamese cross (I think I paid £70 for Snowball)  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Woollysocks

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:33:49 pm »
i had a siamese cross years ago and he was gorgeous, and a rescue cat. so much character.
iv looked at the rescue shelters and most adult cats seem to want a "quiet home, be an only cat or older children only" and as we arent any of these we have decided on a kitten. there are plenty of kittens in the shelter at the moment.
the siamese rescue (we are in scotland) only has oriental adults

i think im just trying to justify the price to myself. i could buy a pedigree calf for the same price
do you think a siamese would still be clingy if he had other cats for company and a farm too explore at will?
our ginger cat comes for walks with us but he is also independent. thanks
"No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." - Abraham Lincoln

Woollysocks

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »
iv spoken to 2 breeders now and i think the breeders may be as eccentric as the cats themselves  ;D ;D
the first breeder, who seemed very nice, wanted to us to visit her a couple of times before she will let us have a kitten, which is no mean feat as they live 4 hrs drive away.

the second breeder was lovely and would let his kitten be sold to a farm home but made it clear any other siamese breeder would be horrified if they found one of their kittens was used as a mouser, and would refuse to let me even buy it in the first place. apparently most siameses arent even allowed outside unless on a lead - would this be why they have mental issues?

we are feeling a bit unworthy of having one now. we have no roads , loads of land, plenty of space inside and out to explore so it really would be a nice life for a cat.
i think we might be on the kitten waiting list...not really sure.... ::) ::) ::)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:40 pm »
I have had Siamese since the age of 14 (I am 51 now). They will definitely follow you around for much of the day inside or out and just have to see what you are doing. They demand lots of fuss and playing with; comment loudly on everything and soon know the meaning of certain words and commands (whether they obey is another matter - they can be sneaky and jump where they know they shouldn't only when you are out of the room). They make very good hunters. Mine have always been outdoor / indoor cats and get loads of stimulation following their natural instincts. A couple have also been good retrievers. If they are cooped up I can see boredom could lead to bad behaviour - not the cats fault. They can have their foibles - mine chews anything wooly. We have lost no end of jumpers, hats and gloves. I dosed off when I had been knitting once only to find a big hole in the knitting when I woke up! Having two chasing each other around is brilliant and totally mad! Ornaments have to be blutacked firmly to surfaces. One cat alone is less chaotic but you need to be as much a companion to the cat as it is to you. They will sit and gaze up at you totally adoringly and purr when they see you are looking at them. They are very intelligent and know how to show you what they want. I can see why people compare them to having a dog although they are most definitely feline. I'm not saying other cats don't do these things - I'm sure many do. My current cat is an Oriental Apricot (made by breeding cream point Siamese to another Oriental Apricot). She is 14 years old and has had her health problems but is doing fine. I have had others who were fairly trouble free. I would never want to be without a Siamese or Oriental cat. They are such fabulous companions if you have the time for them and can provide the stimulation they need (chasing mice would fit the bill nicely).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43:33 am »
Another Siamese X fan here, I've had Burmese and Siamese crosses for thirty-odd years and have adored them all.   :love: :cat:

They've all been intelligent, very very affectionate and loyal.  Yes vocal - and how! :D   Great hunters too - which isn't what everyone wants, but useful on a farm, perhaps.

They're a lot cheaper than the purebred ones, and have a lot of the benefits - intelligence, loyalty, etc - perhaps without the extremes of personality  ;)

A family who bred show Siameses had a litter to an accidental mating to the local moggy; I had a pair of the kittens and they ended up keeping one themselves.  They then bred another litter the same way on purpose, because they said they'd never had a cat they liked as much as the one they kept on!

Whatever you decide you want, I wish you luck in your search / wait, and look forward to pics and stories when you get your puuscat  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS