Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any ideas why my lamb died so suddenly...  (Read 8104 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
any ideas why my lamb died so suddenly...
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »
yesterday our 3 month old lamb was being a bit quieter than normal and hanging away from mum and flock.
caught him up and he seemed fine.no obviously injuried, signs of illness, maggots etc.
only thing I noted was slightly heavier breathing but it was very hot so that were all panting/breathing a bit heavier.
separated him with a few for company into smaller field closer to yards...
got down this am and he was dead...

he was up to date with vac, worming etc and no signs of scouring...

any ideas why he may have died?

a pm is out of question as a fox/badger had got to him after he'd died(I hope) and he wasn't in a good shape to send for pm as innerds removed by animal..but they looked normal to me too...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: any ideas why my lamb died so suddenly...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:50:30 pm »
Suddent deaths like that can be pneumonia or the clostridial diseases.

Had he had HeptavacP or similar?

It's just possible it was Nematodirus, sometimes the only symptoms are sudden death. It's not an obvious tije for a sudden hatch, but it's been a funny year! Check out the NADIS parasite forecast and keep an eye on your others for scouring.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »
So sorry to hear this  :hug:

If it's any comfort an experienced sheep keeper I've been getting experience with lost a special little ram last week totally out of the blue, no signs of illness beforehand and no abnormalities on PM. All up to date as regards any vaccine and worming etc.
Sometimes I guess these things happen out of the blue with no real explanation.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
he'd had course of lamivac.and a white wormer twice since birth

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:17:37 pm »
eaten something he shouldn't have Izzy?  a long shot but maybe worth checking your field.  Skitty bum?  Check in the mouth maybe.  It's a worry for the others, hope you find the cause Izzy
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:20:53 pm »
nothing in field that I can see..didn't have any scours and only sign was a bit quiet and slightly heavier breathing.im just worried its something that will pass to the other 5 sheep.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:23:48 pm »
it was scorching up here yesterday, could he have heat stroke? or become dehydrated? did he have much shade? was he still on milk?
sorry for your loss.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »
was still drinking off mum occasionally.was only lamb so plenty of milk for him.had shade in field but was quite wolley so may have over heated...we were comtemplating hand shearing him and our other lamb on sat as its been so hot.they adults have been shorn so aren't suffering as much.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:02 pm »
Lamivac covers only tetanus and two of the clostridial species. Some of the more modern vaccines cover 8 or 10. And it doesn't cover pneumonia, so those are all still a possibility.

I'm sure it wasn't because you hadn't sheared him, especially if there's shade in the field, so don't beat yourself up about that  :-*

Whatever, I'm really sorry  :hug: I've just lost one (a ewe) too and it is never good  :-\

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:28 am »
Yes - Lambivac only covers clostridial diseases so he is not protected against Pasteurella (caused by
Pasteurella trehalosi) which - if the breathing was heavy sounds like a distinct possibility.
[/color]
[/color]
Heptavac P+ protects.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:04 am »
I would second the pasteurella/pneumonia possibility - Heptavac P+ is a better choice for lambs.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:25 am »
where they all came from used lamivac so we just carried on with that( the lambs mum was got in lamb), can we swap from lambivac to heptavac - p as a one off jab or will they all need restarting on the 2 injections a month apart?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:49 am »
Ah - I know there was a thread about that last year....... I'l have a look for it

Here it is - it's about changing from Ovivac to Heptavac but the principle is the same
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:55:37 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:01:44 am »
thanks for that. I think we'l change them all over on to heptavac - p then to be safe

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
That's what I use, and the majority of the farmers around here too. The feedstore started stocking other stuff but has gone back to HeptavacP, as that's what people prefer.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS