Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: F A O Rosemary  (Read 7765 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
F A O Rosemary
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
Hi Rosemary

Last night I went to Forfar to collect my new goose and the chap very kindly showed me around all his animals. 2 of his pets were damned sheep and it took me back to our conversation on Saturday at the Poultry sale. His 2 very quite friendly, obviously a bit jumpy around me as I was a stranger - but very cute and they obviously loved their "dad". I said to you when you  told me about your "Pet" one I had never considered sheep before for pets - well now i dunno and I am blaming you for planting the seed!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: F A O Rosemary
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:54 pm »
Now James - just remember what Liz will say to you!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:55:36 pm »
Annie, I doubt it will evere happen.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:16:57 pm »
I don't know - you have the space! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:02 pm »
looks like you could easly add a couple of smaller breed types. they would fit right in with your goats etc. then of course you will need a couple of pigs. you could even sell the pork at the pub.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »
Defo no pigs - too messy. We were offered 2 many months ago and I actually said No. One and only time I have refused to re home an animal but no intentions of having pigs. Now offer me a sheep or 2 and I would be tempted hee hee.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:56:32 pm by jameslindsay »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »
NOT MY FAULT!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:28 pm »
yep you can have two. but its a long walk.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:22 pm »
You never know, I may get round to buying one of these days

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:40 pm »
Get two James and your regulars will love you for it...cade sheep fascinate members of the public because they don't often get a chance to touch one or even see one up close...anyhow, they have great characters and you will enjoy looking after them. (You're wrong about the pigs though...they really would be an asset, fun to keep and tasty to eat...a growing investment so to speak!)

Good luck anyway

Farmer
 :farmer:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:29 pm »
Thanks Farmer I will think about the additions. I'm a wimp though I couldn't keep animals of any type and then eat them, sorry not for me. I don't have a problem with others doing it but all my animals are just pets. What type of sheep would you recommend? I would only get 2 - no more!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »
For sheer cuteness, I recommend Southdowns...they have a real 'Teddy Bear' face, don't grow too big, have a reasonably tight fleece and can be made cade quite easily if purchased young (at least that's my experience)...truth is that all the breeds have their own characteristics, but some of the more commercial breeds can be a bit difficult to handle...I'm sure other sheep breeders on this forum will have their own ideas, but whichever you decide on I think you'll enjoy them.

Farmer (John)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 11:30:35 pm »
Thanks for your help John. I will start trawling through the internet and so some homework. I have to stop expanding this family at some point. We arrived here 3 years ago with 2 ducks, 2 dogs and 2 rabbits - now we are up to 51 I think with 4 more hens in a few weeks and another 2 geese hopefully at the weekend. I am mad before any one else says it ha ha.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:34:16 pm »
What's a cade sheep?  I thought it was a breed but from John's post above it must be a type in every breed?

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:40 pm »
Sorry doganjo...cade...is a term used to denote a tame or friendly sheep; one that comes for a chat instead of hightailing it at six hundred mile an hour away from you...I've got a cade full grown 4 year old Texel Ram (Laurence) whom we hand reared after his mother abandoned him and then died. To this day he answers to his name and still comes to greet me whenever he sees me...he loves being made a fuss of by visitors and has become a favourite with lots of our Farm Shop customers (some of whom even send him Christmas cards).

James...I know exactly how you feel...our menagerie seems to have the same expansion problem...that's why we are moving soon...some retirement this is, I work harder and longer than I've ever done before...but I wouldn't swap it for the world!!

farmer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS