Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem with basil  (Read 3345 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Problem with basil
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:06:22 pm »
I have a pot of basil (bought from Tesco) on my kitchen window sill. Just recently I noticed that a few of the leaves seemed to be transparent, as if only the veins were left. Now most of the plant is like that and the leaves are dropping. I'm assuming something is eating it but there's nothing to be seen on it.

Any ideas?

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Re: Problem with basil
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:44:50 am »
Sorry I can't help but I planted my tesco basil outside in a pot about a month ago because it was looking very sad for itself on the kitchen windowsill and now it's thriving, might be worth a try.

So many ideas, not enough hours

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »
I think mine is a bit past that. In fact, I looked at it today and decide the best place for it was the compost bin.  :( I'm not that good at growing herbs. Even managed to kill the mint this year by forgetting to water it. The only thing that does keep coming up is the lemon balm that was here when we moved in.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:17:10 pm »
I've tried planting supermarket pot herbs and lettuce a few times with no success. It does seem to last outdoors longer than the windowsill but I found it much cheaper to get seeds and plant a pot at the back door.

Sorry, forgot to say haven't got a clue what is wrong with your little plant MGWM. But sometimes my indoor plants get little White dust like bugs that seem to suck the life out of them if they are in my kitchen for some reason. They are found under the leaf or down the stem. Guessing you already checked it over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:20:54 pm by Mammyshaz »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »
I wouldn't worry about Basil, he's from Barcelona. Oops wrong guy :dunce:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »
I think the bugs are whitefly :-\ or maybe mealy bug.  If I keep herbs in the kitchen for more than a couple of weeks they always get it.  The basil seems to get coarse too but it is ok in the greenhouse ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS