Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sterilising/Campden tablets  (Read 3522 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Sterilising/Campden tablets
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
Help! I've just started my first batch of 'proper' wine - gooseberry (proper because it's not due to be drunk for at least a year as opposed to necking it next week!). I had a nice long chat to the lady in the self-brew shop who talked me through it all and I thought I had it clear. I've added my pectolase to the must and am leaving to stand for a few days, so far so good. But I thought I also had to add a Campden tablet now so that I killed off all the bad bacteria before adding the yeast in the next step. However, the instructions on the tablets say to add one after fermentation and prior to bottling. So what do you do? If relevant, the gooseberries have been sat in the fridge for a week so there were already some dodgy ones in there (which I've fished out when I noticed them),

Hester

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Sterilising/Campden tablets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:33:06 pm »
You can add a campden tablet now, it will kill off any bacteria and wild yeast, then add your yeast (which should be more reliable than wild yeasts). If I remember rightly a campden tablet is only active for 10 minutes or so, so you can add your yeast the same day.

Hope that helps. I love gooseberry wine, only got 6 gooseberries off our bush this year though!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Sterilising/Campden tablets - and yeast!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:03 am »
Thanks Dans,

That did help - sterilised and then left it a couple of days (as per recipe) before adding sugar and yeast. But now I have a follow up question! I've got it in a demi-john and it's bubbling away through the air lock quite happily. However, I can still see quite a lot of the yeast undissolved at the bottom of the jar. The instructions were just to add it direct to the must so I assumed it would dissolve easily. Will it eventually dissolve on its own or should I be shaking it vigorously every now and then?

H

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:46 am »
A stir should help it dissolve. Although you don't really want to take the airlock on and off much. I'm not sure if it will dissolve if just left be. I always make my yeast up into a liquid starter, let it start foaming in a jug for about 10 minutes and then add that to my must, that way I know the yeast is alive and I know it's all dissolved. Might be something to try in future. Let us know what you try and how it works out!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:35:45 am »
I give my demi johns a shake every few days or so.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:28:24 am »
Been shaking - all looks good  :thumbsup: :fc:

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS