Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple Trees- Which variety suits West Wales/Western Ireland  (Read 3723 times)

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
Hi Just wondering what people think are the best apple trees for a wet climate - eaters and cookers - early and late.
Some varieties ripen August (Discovery) while others ripen December( Kings Acre Pippin)
I want to plant some early and late varieties to extend the season.
Any views/experiences appreciated

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Apple Trees- Which variety suits West Wales/Western Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:49:45 pm »
We live in wettest Wales and our ordinary boring Bramleys do extremely well.

One word about the much the vaunted Bardsey Apple and thats " don't " :)

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Already have one established Bramley and I planted 2 more this year as the first one is squashed in between a thriving plum tree and the hedge. I just thought that if the apple season can last from August to December whether other people could share their experience/knowledge ?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »
The best thing to do if you can, is to have a look around at what other people have got growing in your area. If you see anything thats obviously thriving, then the chances are that it will it will grow for you as well. I'm going to be planting another 60 or so maiden tres this winter and I'll let you know what I decide on. Thats not to say that I'm going to make the right selections of course. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS