Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick chicken - urgent advice needed  (Read 2387 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
sick chicken - urgent advice needed
« on: July 29, 2009, 06:01:36 pm »
hi

just got home from work and my favourite chicken really isn't looking good (was fine this morning).

She had a small prolapse a few weeks ago but after a week or so in a box she's been fine since, laying clean non-bloody eggs regularly again right up until y'day.  Her vent looks fine still today, but she hasn't laid (not sure if this background is at all relevant or connected to her symptoms so put it on here just in case!)

Anyhow, just got back, she didn't run over to greet me as she normally would and she is making a rattling sort of noise in her breathing, and she looks like breathing is an effort, rather laboured and her whole body is raising up and down a bit with each breath, and her vent is contracting too and she really really smells and she keeps closing her eyes a lot.  There is no facial swelling, and her eyes and nose are showing no signs of gunk or discharge.

Her crop is fairly swollen but not hard like with corn, quite soft and moveable - can feel some pellets in it so she has eaten today. 

can anyone suggest what might be wrong with her or what i can do to help her?  really don't want to cull if i can help her.

thanks L

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: sick chicken - urgent advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »
Oh dear, she does not sound good, does she? 

Is the smell coming from the mouth or the other end?  If the crop is squishy, it could be causing her some discomfort.  I would treat her for sour crop, by giving her live yogurt mixed with olive oil.  Gently syringe  or use a teaspoon to get it in her mouth, try and make sure she swallows it, then gently massage her crop.  I then carefully tilt the hen forward, and hopefully whats in her crop with come out.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: sick chicken - urgent advice needed
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:48:26 am »
Poor soul. Ask your vet for some advice and maybe an antibiotic. Ours lets us do the injecting ourselves which cuts down on cost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS