Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning  (Read 2174 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Weaning
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
I have 4 lambs of which 2 are rams born 19/3/13 and 16/4/13, so the youngest one is just over 14 weeks old.
The older ram (Taffy) is rarely with his mum these days but the younger (Tomos) spends quite a lot of time sitting with his mum and does have the occasional feed from her. They are both eating creep and grass well.
Am I ok to wean them both together at the end of this month?
I plan to leave the two ewe lambs to wean naturally so won't be removing them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Weaning
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
I'm glad you asked that question...I have the same sort of situation...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:31 am »
Yes but, taking just two lambs away ... will they be on their own?  Having only two young ones together they may fret more.  I would be tempted to wean all the lambs in one go, so that they feel like they are still in a flock, so to speak.  You can put the ewe lambs back with their mums after a couple of weeks.

An alternative would be if you have a next door field that they could go in where they can still see their mums through the fence, then they will be reassured by their presence.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:44:36 am »
At 14 weeks if they are eating creep and grass I would certainly wean them.

Put them as far away as possible from the ewes and they will soon settle.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:31 am »
Generally I'd advise 4 months old for weaning, but if they're eating creep well they should be ok.

If you had a dry ewe you could keep with them that would help settle them, but they will settle quickly on their own as they have each other for company.  And it's not a fretful breed  ;) and is a greedy one  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS