Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peas  (Read 2417 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Peas
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:30 am »
I'm going to save all my peas this year for next years seed ( there isn't going to be meany ).
Do I shell them before or after drying ?
Would like to know because I've got 2 peas ready for picking :thumbsup:   :excited: 

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:09 am »
Hi Bert! I let the ones I am saving do all their growing on the plant. When the growth is starting to go yellow and dry I generally cut the top (leave the roots in the soil to dig in for the nitrogen) and stick it in the greenhouse to make sure it continues to dry no matter what the weather does. Once completely dry I shell the pods and save the seeds in a brown envelope in my seed tin. Viability does go down after a couple of years so use them next year and save fresh again.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:24:37 am »
Thanks for the advice  :thumbsup: . Great tip about the roots, I would of pulled them out  :dunce: , and I would of picked the peas off the plant  :dunce:
I had the first few peas for my tea last night :yum: ( with other stuff  :-J ). The first crop I've harvested from my new garden  :excited: . And the first veg I've grown for my own use in 3 years, not for and employer ( and in every way possible its just better  ;D ).

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:09 pm »
If the plant is dry with pods on then cut and hang the plant - everyone does this with haricot beans for the seed and to eat as haricot blanc ( only mention that as I used dried haricot beans in spicey tomatoes sauce with onion,garlic and courgettes).

I think the hanging the plant thing just makes it easier to handle and store - rather than deal with a bowl of shelled seed.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:20 am »
I just buy my seeds to get different varieties
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS