Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Google Ads for micro pigs  (Read 75474 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Google Ads for micro pigs
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »
If anyone sees a Google Ad advertising micro pigs (those are the ad blocks you'll see under the first post on every topic, typically with 3 ads) please can you take a screen shot or take a note of the address and send it to me, or reply here?

We are taking steps to block these ads but need to know the ad URL. Unfortunately we can't turn the ads off completely, else there'd be no forum.  :(

We've blocked yourlittlepig[dot]co[dot]uk which should take effect shortly.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:41:19 pm by Dan »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Google Ads for micro pigs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
We need more content on this page about 'buying micro pigs' so they will come into pig context.  Lets hope that a bit more micro content on pigs of the micro pig size will bring up the animal selling ads about pigs of a micro nature.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »
I cant get anything up - its also worth noting that if peeps go and do a few searches on google about micro pigs and look up a few other sites about micro pigs who also have adsense - their search progile in google will more than likely trigger the ad on this forum too.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:34:20 pm »
Also worth asking people not to click the link but to just record it and post it here.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:06:05 pm »
Hi Dan just got a micro pig advert on the members section for petpiggies.co.uk.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:04 am »
Thanks BB, blocked now.

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
Thinking outside the box here, but I think everyone that uses this site knows enough to know micro pigs are like fairys, elves or eskimos, not real! so whilst the breeders advertising budget is being spent advertising here it isn't being spent advertising on sites where people might end up with a full kune boar living in a 2 bed flat! But I guess it dosn't look good for the site if they advertise here and looks like you might endorse them so I guess on reflection blocking is probably best! Well thats how my brain works! 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:19 am »
That's great for dealing with Ad Blocks  :thumbsup:

But what is the best way of dealing with TAS members who covertly advertise their "micro-pigs" within a post?  Surely that reflects badly on TAS too, as it looks as though we are condoning the disgusting trade as a community   :sofa:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:39 pm »

But what is the best way of dealing with TAS members who covertly advertise their "micro-pigs" within a post?  Surely that reflects badly on TAS too, as it looks as though we are condoning the disgusting trade as a community   :sofa:
I don't know if you are referring to me, Beewhyched - if not, then forgive me, but I'm feeling a bit paranoic after the "hate" outburst following my reply to Cuckoo who was wanting kune kunes. Why on earth are you tarring everyone who sells micropigs with the same brush? It's like accusing everyone who sells puppies of running a puppy farm.
I thought this was meant to be a forum for swapping ideas and experiences; not a hot bed of bigottism. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »
This was not directly referring to you landroverroy - I have replied to your post on Cukoo's thread.

The problem I have with "micro/mini/teacup/disney pigs" is that Ms Croft et al have caused insurmountable misery to thousands of pigs ( & humans) through their vile money-making trade.  I believe that it was aligned to "puppy farming" by some of those concerned with the ensuing court cases.
I have no problem with folks wanting to keep small pigs in good welfare conditions.  It's the use of a descriptive as if it were a breed that I have the issue with - it insinuates that the piglets will stay small, when they are usually a mix of indeterminate breeds that may or may not grow depending on which part of their gene cocktail is strongest.
A bigot - me  :roflanim:  oh dear  :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »
Please see my comments on the original Kune post same applies in here!!!

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »
We have a clear policy that when advertising livestock for sale the breed or cross must be stated.

I thought this was meant to be a forum for swapping ideas and experiences; not a hot bed of bigottism.

Contrary to this policy you have offered micro-pigs on another thread without stating their cross or breed. There is no standard definition of "micro-pig" and the term has the potential to confuse unwitting buyers. In future please respect this policy.

If a small number of concerned members take exception to your use of the term it hardly makes TAS "a hot bed of bigottism", let's not get carried away.  ::)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:31 am »
Now hang on Dan - if you look at my original post to Vin on 24th June, I clearly said that my micro pigs were a description and not a breed and I stated that they had Berkshire in their breeding as well as Kune Kune and the fact that you cannot guarantee smallness in all the progeny. So I couldn't have made it clearer that they weren't a recognised breed! So haven't I actually followed your policy quite closely?  :bouquet: I've further mentioned their eating qualities  and time taken to get fat. :yum: Nowhere is there any suggestion of them being suitable as "small" pets. So how on earth can you put me in the same category as Ms Croft and others?  :rant:
This is a Smallholders forum, not a Pet owners, and if you actually had the time to investigate, you would find that the people who have been misled by the micropig miselling are actually only a few hundred while the people who have sold sick and defective puppies bred by totally unscrupulous breeders runs into tens of thousands. >:( But you don't stop puppies being advertised here!
Obviously it's your forum  and you can specify what rules you like. But it seems to me that you are being led by the hysteria of a few, :huff: and  seems a shame that you are allowing innocent members, with no previous knowledge or connection to  Croft to be pilliaried for something they have no connection to.
And to get the record straight, micro pigs are not cross breeds, but mongrels, so to call them the former would be clearly misleading also. :innocent:
Sue
Rules are made:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24:45 am »
Now hang on Dan - if you look at my original post to Vin on 24th June, I clearly said that my micro pigs were a description and not a breed and I stated that they had Berkshire in their breeding as well as Kune Kune and the fact that you cannot guarantee smallness in all the progeny. So I couldn't have made it clearer that they weren't a recognised breed! So haven't I actually followed your policy quite closely?

I wasn't referring to that post Sue, but this one:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=35424.msg352508#msg352508

Where all you did was offer up a litter of 'micro-pigs'. Had you provided similar detail in this post there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm also not sure why you're now posting this on here, having PM'ed me with exactly the same points, all of which I responded to, because you wanted to discuss them in private? I'm more than happy to have this discussion here, but I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve?

And to get the record straight, micro pigs are not cross breeds, but mongrels, so to call them the former would be clearly misleading also. :innocent:
Not sure what you're referring to here?  ??? No-one has asked you to describe them as cross breeds - if you read the notice in the Marketplace it asks you to state the breed, cross-breed, or state the breed is unknown.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:26:50 am by Dan »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »
I just posted on here as well as PMing you Dan because when I looked earlier today you hadn't replied to my PM but had responded on here. I therefore assumed that you were pretty busy and hadn't had time to go through all your personal stuff . So it seemed appropriate to reply on this thread as it was directly related to the point I was trying to make. (I wasn't trying to bombard you - quite the opposite!)
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS