Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig feed  (Read 16207 times)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
Re: Pig feed
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:06 pm »
Thats why I need help from you guys!!  ;) Friends of ours reared 2 weaners last year and again this year on organic pig feed and fed them fruit and veg so I thought seeing as the meat turned out so nice last year I'd do the same, but I'm really learning as I go along!!  Would you advise to just get the ordinary pig feed and go from there?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:54 pm »
Unless everything you feed is organic there is no point in feeding organic pig food.  Its horrendously expensive.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »
get a better make thats not full of junk and you still will save a fortune. it will be the fruit and veg thats would have made good pork. unless your planning to go the whole hog as getting your land certified and then sourcing your piglets from an organic source. then theres the vets and the rest. don't bother give them as much freedom as possible and a rich food source lots of diffrent foods and you will get great meat and happy pigs.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 10:11:13 pm »
Totally agree...good quality pig food, plenty of fresh fruit and veg and lots and lots of TLC and you can't go wrong

Farmer
 :farmer:

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:13 am »
Thanks again guys!  I was relying on the friend who has already done this. Now that they are getting bigger they are obviously eating more so therefore far more costly!  Will get the other stuff tomorrow and mix it in with the organic stuff until its all gone.  Ive my lambs going on their "holidays" on Saturday so Ill be able to let the pigs out into that area (about 3/4 of an acre) during the day so we really should have very happy pigs then!  Thanks again!  :)   :pig:   :love:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 10:40:30 am »
Try and avoid all the GM stuff (it's on the label). Unfortunately Irelands full of the stuff.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 10:51:22 pm »
£12.50 a 50kg bag (GM crumble). doesnt last long. 2 pigs @ 6lb a day each

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:36 pm »
I've just read the ingredients on the non-organic nuts and it's scary :o
but as the current three ladies are off next week I'll stick with it. But next time will be different.
Can anyone offer a practical way to mix my own? I've read recipes in piggy books but you would need a big barn and lots of cash to get all the ingredients they recommend together at the one time. That's the problem with the nuts; they're so damned handy.
In addition to forage and veg, and the nuts, I had been feeding rolled barley. Would it be a problem with the rules and regulations if I cracked a few eggs - straight from the henhouse - into the barley? It would be a great way of using the kitchen scraps that can't be fed to the pigs - sort of recycling them through the hens.

chickenfeed

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 08:18:10 am »
we buy barley, wheat beans and pes in either tons or half tons from local farmers and mill them to a powder form ready to mix with water for a wet feed.
we have taken our feed quantities from old pig keeping books, our pigs do not only thrive on this mix but its far cheaper (less than one hundred pounds a ton) and the butcher always comments on the fantastic pork.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS