Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock First Aid Kit  (Read 4464 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Livestock First Aid Kit
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:52 pm »
After reading the thread on first aid for a pig I started wondering what medicines people regularly keep in stock, just in case.  Thankfully our pigs have never needed to see a vet, but would we be able to order stuff like that topical anitbiotic spray without having an injured pig?

Would be interested in people's opinions on this.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Livestock First Aid Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »
At the moment, we have violet antiseptic/disinfectent spray, lots of cotton wool, dettol, bandages, non-vac bottle (for goat kidding) plasters and sticky bandages, vasaline, gloves, verm=x.
antiseptic stuff was from shop not vet, we go to vet for eg mange and worm treatment, they give and take back  the syringes and needles.
Have seen somewhere advertised a horsey first aid kit for sale, lots of those stretchy coloured foot bandages I would imagine!
Its worth keeping basics, especially antiseptic sprays.  The violet is good so u can see where yyuo've been!

Cant think what else we have...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:17:54 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
Most things we have you can buy at your local chemist & they are very helpful if you ask them to help you put a kit together.

We have various needles and syringes, surgical gloves, Iodine - great when lambing on the cords of the
lambs.  Something for lambs foot and a clipper for nails, and shears for the fur to clean their back ends when lambs are due etc.
We have a Wound Powder that is suitable for all animals, and Noromectin, sun cream factor 50 for the pigs ears, lots of different wormers and lice treatment from cats to pigs. 

We have a plastic crate with a lid we just call the vet box, and anything for animal use goes in there, then when we need it the whole family knows what we are talking about and where it is kept.

It also has tagging tools in it and ear tags. Cod Liver Oil, Primrose Oil and bob martin stuff, a pack of baby wipes and a bag of cotton wool.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:45:45 am »
The vet's phone number and a can of antiseptic spray.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 04:44:11 pm »
A thermometer! and agrigel!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:54:19 pm »
What is Agrigel and Noromectin?  I have Gentian Violet spray, pig and poultry wormer, hibiscrub, cotton wool, anti-bacterial fly repellant gel, sudacrem and then anythin that gets pilfered from the human first aid kit.

I've often wondered if we should have a topical antibiotic spray to hand, but don't have any relationship with a livestock vet yet as so far we've never needed one!  I don't know if our small animal vet would prescribe it just on my whim or even if they would have it in stock!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
Agrigel is a lubricant, helps when inserting a thermometer! and for you hands if you ever have to 'go in'! ;)
Noromectin is an injectable wormer.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »
Ah thaks for that!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS