Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsummer Identification!  (Read 7613 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Welsummer Identification!
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:26 pm »

Please can somebody help me identify the hen below before Mrs Womble finally does my head in!?  ???

We know she's a Welsummer, but is she a Golden Duckwing, or Partridge, and is there actually any difference between these two? (We're thinking not grey enough to be Silver Duckwing?).

Oh, and does anybody know of any for sale, as something tells me only Welsummers are going to do from now on!  ;D

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sandy

Re: Welsummer Identification!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:18:23 pm »
Hi, don't know what the bird is but I wanted Wellsumers but also love Black Rocks so bought 5 more after I spoke with you both. Hope you chicken is picking up and you soon get somewhere to have more chickens, they are a bit addictive. Great to meet you both at the poultry auction, not a bit like your photo ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:39 pm »
What a beautiful bird! Are they hybrids? Did Rosemary maybe say that Jamesfield sold her Welsummers (oh, my memory...)??  :&>

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:46:36 am »

Hi Sandy,

Somehow I knew you wouldn't be leaving there empty handed  ::).  Our poorly Black Rock is doing a bit better now. Still a little bit gurgly, but has started squawking again, so we know she's on the mend!

NFD - they're a pure breed, most famous for laying really dark chocolate brown eggs (Hey Dan, where's the egg smiley!?).

The birds seem to come in at least two, if not three colour options though, and this is what's confusing us.

The boys are really stunning - right off the side of the cornflake packet!

Womble.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:09:30 am »
Hi Womble, he is indeed a beauty and his coat is gleeming. Nice to meet you both on Saturday. James

sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:31:22 am »
My new Black ROcks roost in a tall tree so I hope when it gets colder they will know to got into the big shed I have otherwise they may freeze!!!! Love that Cockeral, what a stunning bird, if I had no neighbours I deffinately would have one!!!!

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »
http://www.welsummerclub.org/Standard.htm

Does this help at all?

I had a look at the origin of the photo and as it's not specific about the type, I would tend to assume that it's a standard Partridge colour  ;).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:40:53 pm »
My Kiri was a beautiful bird but I always thought he was a RIR cross of some sort - here he is - any clues as to what he might be?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hardfeather

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:24:12 am »
It's a golden partridge, Womble. ;) Had it had a silver hackle, it would have been a silver partridge.

Duckwing fowl are easily identified by looking at the cocks which have a bar of a different colour across the wing, as does a mallard drake. This bar need not be blue like the mallard's, but must be a different colour from the primary feathers, and from the feathers on the opposite side of the bar to the primaries.

A fowl without this bar, where the wing is self coloured, is described as having a 'crow wing'.

So, in fact, duckwings are a type rather than a breed, so it's possible to have fowl with either duckwings or crow wings within a breed................ie in Old English Game Fowl, where the brown breasted brown reds may have either type of wing and still be correct. This is because the are bred by crossing a crow winged Ginger cock onto either crow, or duck, winged partridge females from black red/light red/black breasted light red stock.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:04:45 pm »

Thanks for the info Aengus, that's fantastic!

Just got to find ourselves a couple now. If only they laid *real* chocolate eggs!  ;D

sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »
Yum Yum!! but they would melt in the sun or when the hen sat on them!! ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS