Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 3106 times)

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
worming
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:12:16 pm »
I have a litter of pigs that are 6 weeks of age. All look healthy but some have a rough hair coat. I was wandering when is the proper time to worm them. Alot say at weaning (which I assume most wean at 8 weeks)

is 6 weeks to young?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:40:56 pm »
Hello,

Most people wean between 6 & 10 weeks. So long as the dosage is appropriate to the weight you'll be OK.

Cheers

Gavin

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:09:34 pm »
Hi,

I use NOROMECTIN and the recommended dosage is 1ml per 33kg of body weight, I was advised to use this on the pigs as it covers all internal and external parasites.
The Vet tells me to worm the pigs at 9 to 10 weeks SO that there is a small margin for error.
The way I do it is to weigh the heaviest and the lightest and take an average.(This is where the margin for error comes in!).
I suppose if you have the time you could weigh each and every pig, Depending on how many you have!.
Hope this helps
Kindest regards
Joe :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:45 am »
I am not sure of what is available in UK, can you ask your vet for wormer suitable for a 6 week old piglet?  We worm at 8 - 10 weeks just as they go to new homes.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:03 pm »
Hi

Noromectin should be available in the UK as it is a Northern Ireland company and they export all over the world.
I would ask your Local Vet about where to get it.
Hope this helps.
Kindest regards

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:53:31 am »
I've decided to go with the Ivomectin (readly available here in the US) and wait until they are 8 weeks (whats another week anyhow) when i wean them

thanks

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
Hi

Ivomectin and Noromectin are basically the same product or at least they are equally as good as each other.
Kindest regards

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS