Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: France  (Read 4386 times)

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
France
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:12:22 am »
Bonjour,

Me n Mel are doing a bit of research into France and are wondering (for those of you living in France) where do you live, what do you do and any other details you don't mind being made public :)

Mel has lived and worked in France, she speaks fluent French. I haven't and don't  ;D

We are thinking of planning a road trip in October and are trying to narrow areas down.

Thank you!

Au Voir!
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: France
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:25:18 am »
Hi, I think the biggest percentage of the TAS French contingent live in Brittany, a slightly smaller portion Normandy.  These are the best areas for smallholders (in my opinion) as further south it can be hot and dry. 

Central Brittany has the greater number of expats generally, that being the cheaper area. 

Although the bureacracy is difficult, the French in general dont seem to take a lot of notice of the minutae of animal keeping unlike the perceived view of UK. 

Land is far cheaper here, never accept the estate agents view that the farmer next door will sell that field for a song.  He wont.  They dont sell land easily here.  I have known several people who fell for that one. 

There are 2 or 3 smallholding groups formed by Brits in Brittany and Normandy all of whom would welcome you and offer as much advice as you can absorb.

The fact that Mel speaks fluent french is a huge benefit. 

Brittany (imo) is the best place in France.  (possibly the world).  You are welcome to visit if you come down this far  (Morbihan 56).

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:33:30 pm »
i'm just back from a week in the Limousin region

It's fantastic!!!!!

plenty crops being grown - sweetcorn and sun flowers everywhere -but all the usual stuff too, great tasting local cattle.

loads of trees, trees galore and from looking online, i think it's very well priced if you are looking for a bit of land

it's a bit sleepy though, got the impression that there aren't a lot of expats and the way of life would be very french.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
The Limousin is very popular with expats, another place to try is the Vendee.  Not advertising other sites but as a smallholder interested in France this site is helpful  (although not as great as this one)

www.pigsinfrance.com :-[

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »
Hola,

Oh Bugger thats Spanish :)

Thanks guys. We rented a farmhouse for Xmas a couple years ago in Limousin area - it was very nice, but very sleepy!

We are struggling with whether to suck it up and get some land in the UK or consider France. I would love to move back to Spain, but spanish law is scary concerning land and property. Land and property seem a lot cheaper in France, but its the work situation. We both come from media backgrounds - Mel being head of marketing for a TV channel and me managing bands and DJ's. However, I do have a proper job as well, renovating properties with my Dad. So, Mel could teach English or work in marketing, translating etc. I could, mmmmmm....

If we stay here, work is easier and I can continue building my bushcraft & outdoor skills / chicken keeping for townies courses.

Obviously, the main focus is the smallholding and expanding on what we have now. HELP!!!!!
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-\ :-* :'(

Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:58:07 pm »
We chose Lower Normandy for a few reasons;
    Ease of travel back and forth to the Uk,either by plane or ferry/drive
    Great infrastructure,you're only half an hour away from anywhere
    Property and land prices
    Enough of an expat community to ease the transition
    We fell in love with this house
    The area has lots to offer from bars and nightclubs to beaches and cafes,historic towns and sports facilities galore.
    We're isolated,but still in touch with the local community

Have a look here for more research into this area...... http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/  and if you want the spare room for a weekend's exploration....!        Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:15 pm »
Thanks guys for all the help so far!!

Once we start planning our trip, I might hit you all up and pop round for a cup of tea (I will bring the Twinnings and McVities!!)
 ;D
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
My dad lives in 'Le Berry' in the centre of France near Chateauroux. We looked there and nearly bought a farmhouse there 6 years ago. Eventually we decided against it because our 5 children were well established here and work was tricky there.
My dad loves it and I do sometimes envy his outdoor tomatoes and aubergines andI will never grow basil like his but;- We bought land in the heart of Scotland - at home for me and the other side of the world for my NZ husband, but we love it. There is so much space and sky and our community is so strong and we are so much part of it. So we got a polytunnel and counted our blessings.
If money is a problem have a look at Scotland - when we worked it out Scotland was cost effective and its FAB!
kirsty

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 07:23:28 am »
I do like it up North - I lived in Cockermouth, Cumbria for a while and have visited Scotland a lot.

Its all too confusing :-\

One day we really fancy France and the next we think we should stay in the UK. Other options have been Canada, back to Miami and Spain. Biggest consideration is when we start a family - we want easy access for our parents...

Bloody hell!  Maybe I should should have an early mid life crisis, sell everything and buy a Ferrari!!

Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:37:23 am »
Ferrari no! Buy a tractor.

Things to consider is where can you both work.  You wont survive on smallholding here.  Would one of you commute from France.  If so then Normandy or Brittany for local transport (plane or ferry).

Could you run a smallholding if you both worked?  Or could you cope financially if one worked and the other ran the smallholding. 

Land is cheap here, the general day to day stuff is on a par with UK. 

You will be very welcome to visit.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:56:25 am »
Hi again,
I think that one of the biggest issues you need to think about is the society that you want your kids to grow up in. My brother has chosen to live in Germany and they are really pleased with the way that children are seen and treated as young citizens. One of our difficulties with rural france for the kids was their access to the type of social culture that we enjoyed as teenagers - my friends there with teens are always fretting about keeping their kids engaged and focussed on wholesome pursuits as boredom sometimes leads to difficulties. Our french friends don't seem to have the same concerns because they have large extended families to rely on that seems to form the backbone of their support network. But it all depends on the locality. Here in the Strathmore valley our kids have the same large community of friends that they have had since nursery. SOme are farmers some are academic families etc. But even in the next region with a different high school and more unemployment the picture is different. Drugs for example are more of a problem.
Also as you will be aware the pattern of school attendance is different in each country. My sister in law is at home every afternoon to oversee the kids. I would like that but it cuts down on possible income. Also I would struggle with the need for conformity in Germany or the French code of behaviour for young people. If its just about kids - I favour Spain and Italy - apart from Scotland of course.
If you by a ferrari you won't be able to have kids anyway. You'll never get them in..I envy you your set of choices - I hope we get to hear what you decide and why.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS