Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first lamb down - bloat?  (Read 3769 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
first lamb down - bloat?
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:19 pm »
Just found a lleyn lamb down on my evening checks - on his side legs out, panting, eyes half closed (looked close to death). No flies / maggots, pooed raisins whilst with him and dosed with Rycoben 1st July, so not fly strike or Nematodirus.

Suspected bloat, but not sure. last check was at midday and maybe he was cast and stuck in the heat of the sun?  He seemed stressed so got him vertical but still lying down. he got up and away but kept collapsing as he ran away, alternate back and front legs. I've got him in a pen in the corner of the field (no grass, just water). I checked on him 4/5 times over next 30 mins and he seemed  alert and standing, but he was sometimes on his front fetlocks and the last time was standing with front legs wide apart. No heat in any of the legs or feet.

Any ideas? He's 14-16 weeks and big, so not 100% confident it is bloat (or what signs are, everyone looks fat at mo). I'll check again in 60 mins, any treatment, other things to check?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: first lamb down - bloat?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:30:49 pm »
Forgot to say, grass is very lush but they have been in field over a week and he was not bottle fed.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:46:18 am »
Could be heat stress - is he drinking? Weaned or still with the ewe?

Hope he is better this morning?

Mine spend the day under the hedge, then come out to eat once it gets a bit cooler. And even though the lambs are on their mums they do go and drink quite regularly.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
Suspected he was heat stressed from being cast for a period in full sun yesterday. He seems 'normal' so I let him out again into the field but saw him a little later and he was still wobbling on his back legs. He eventually lay/collapsed down but is erect, alert and eating.

Now researching 'staggers' but it is very easy to get paranoid / exacerbate the symptoms when you do google searches.  No other signs in other lambs or ewes.

Why do stock go ill at weekends?

Any ideas as to what can be causing the 'staggering'?

Lambs are still with ewes, but was going to separate the boys tomorrow.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:07:13 am »
Spoke to vet, getting a B1 injection, assuming it could be CCN.

Granny A

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:34 am »
If bloat then drench with cooking oil, but sounds more like heat stress given the conditions. If an animal has been down for some time then they will have difficulty in walking as the blood supply isn't working properly. A cool place with water available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS