Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Lamb - Need Advice  (Read 2154 times)

Abigail

• Joined Apr 2013
Dead Lamb - Need Advice
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
Hi Everyone,

We had a three legged lamb that was born with a congenital deformity. She was about 7 months old and was walking perfectly on three legs until a week ago. Last weekend she went down and couldn't back up. All the muscles and joints in her legs were very weak.

The vet saw her and gave her anti-inflammatory and B vitamins because he thought it was just a problem with the legs. We were working to rehabilitate her each day and she was getting a little stronger and standing on her own, but she still couldn't really walk, only a couple of meters. She was eating and drinking normally and seemed her happy self.

Then yesterday morning we went in the barn and her head was tiled to the side at a 90 degree angle, her legs were very floppy, she wouldn't eat or drink anything, and wouldn't swallow. She had literally deteriorated overnight. The vet came and took her temperature which was a little cold (36.9) and he gave her a drip in the vein of lactated ringer solution, penicillin and this dark brown liquid that I can't remember the name of. (We're in Spain and it was in Spanish). We took her in the house to keep her warm for a while then back into the field because it was hot and she seemed happier there. We took her temperature and it was 38 so she had gotten warmer. She kept slipping out of consciousness and having little spasms that woke her up. Then the spasms stopped and she seemed so peaceful and she just went to sleep and didn't wake back up.

Do you have any advice on what this could have been? We have a couple of ideas but want to know what other people who have experience with sheep think? We need to know if there is anything we should do with our other sheep, ie. moving to a different pen, cleaning etc...

Thank you so much and we really appreciate your help

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Dead Lamb - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »
So sorry you have lost your lamb, it's always upsetting when you have nurtured and then lose them.  i can't give you any other ideas other than then she wasn't meant to live, they sometimes just 'go' despite all your efforts.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:12:54 pm »
How sad.  :'( Possibly she had internal defects as well as the missing limb and when she got to a certain size, the faulty internal organ couldn't cope any more.  I had a foal like that - she was fine up to 3 months and then faded fast due to a hole in her heart so possibly something similar.

I'm very sorry you lost her after all your care.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
Im so sorry for you and her.  I agree its likely she had a congenital problem internally as well- I had a wobbly lamb who was fine just wobbly and very happy till she was 18months and then stopped being able to stay upright quite suddenly, so i had to get the vet to put her down.  It was suggested she had some sort of spinal absess and as she grew the pressure was obviously too much. 

I expect the vet would have told you if there was anything to worry about in regards to your flock - or if not can you call and ask them? 

Your description of her waking up is heartbreaking, but good she went peacefully.

Its devastating when the one that has needed the extra care dies - I am very sorry that you lost her.  But think of how she had a good life with you and that you took the time to keep and care for her.  Take care and good luck.

Granny A

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:42 am »
Could be Smallenburg (not sure of the spelling) which would account for the deformity and explain early death. It's all over the UK and came from the Continent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS