Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rag cushion  (Read 2717 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Rag cushion
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
I have the rag rug bug and have just finished making this cushion. Its possibly a christmas present for my niece if I can bear to part with it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Rag cushion
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »
That is gorgeous, Sally. Is the whole thing ragged or does it have a plain back. I am so tempted to have a go but not sure my fingers would cope with pushing the rags through the hessian.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:40 pm »
Your niece will love it Sally  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:24:46 am »
That's lovely ........very clever design too...you got me interested now again :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:44 am »
That's fantastic. Great design. What are the raggy bits made of?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:26 am »
Lesley,
The back is just plain black material from an old skirt. I have put a button opening so that the cushion pad can be taken out but made a feature of the buttons as they are red. You push the rugs through with a bodger and it isn't too difficult although you do need to grip so it would depend on how good you are at that. If you can find someone close to home with a bodger that you could try first that might help.
Suziequeue,
Its made from t-shirts that I got it from a charity shop. I knew the design I wanted to make as its from a book and had in my mind to do bluey/greens but when I saw the black and white top it just called out to me and the rest then became obvious.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46:58 am »
That cushion instantly reminded me of a traditional Spanish lady dancer with her castanets  ;D
It's brilliant  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:19 pm »
Someone round this way recently started a rag rug making group. Maybe I should go along and give it a try. I do remember my OH trying it once at a NT wartime occupations demo. He found it very hard to push the bodger through. He did make a lovely pom pom though and it is still hanging up in the kitchen.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:27 am »
Lesley if you are interested give it a go. You won't know until you have tried. I did find it difficult to push the bodger through at the edges where I had made a hem but I am sure that there are ways round this i.e. hem afterwards or get someone to help with the difficult bits.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:48:34 am »
That is lovely, Sally. I've been thinking about giving this a go after seeing your first rug  8)  ;D Can see my house becoming a rag world of rugs and cushions  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »
The question is  can I really manage to fit in another hobby and I suspect the answer is no. Maybe in the winter when the garden isn't calling me.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:41 am »
wow, your cushion looks great! It will be a real statement piece in any room, I love it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS