Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the dreaded planning permission  (Read 5930 times)

little farmer

• Joined Jul 2013
the dreaded planning permission
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:06 pm »
hello, little farmer here,just thought ide introduce myself and tell you a bit about myself seeing im a newby!!! .
I bought 6acres of land two years ago when I eventually said bye bye to my two grownup kids and decided the house was far too big for me on my own and this was the time to follow a long awaited dream to come to fruition. I had made good friends with a girl I worked with who had horses and had bought land a good few years back, she told me that the farmer she had bought her land off had some for sale. to cut a long story short a purchased the 6 acres from him bought a horse, got some sheep and chickens and settled down to a lifestyle ide always dreamed of. Of the 6acres I have  1.5acres of scrubland that is full of wildlife and good maturing trees with the bonus of a large flat area inside totally secluded from prying eyes and just the most wonderful place to put a static caravan and truly live the dream, I have been looking at ways to put an application together for the planning permission and have browsed the net to  look up forums, council policy, etc etc I have had advice off people, and even the developer that bought the farm from the farmer I bought my land off has given me good sound advice as well as becoming a valuable friend. his advice was to explore loopholes before actually confronting  the planning department, one being getting planning permission to put a caravan site there, once planning is granted I have all the time in the world to actually build the site so of course I could store a caravan there then get water on the land etc etc, another was to run it as a business, and put that in my planning also. Im left with so many ifs and buts and hows and do's my head is spinning, so  I thought ide pitch up here and ask any of you good people if you've been in the same position

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: the dreaded planning permission
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »
Welcome Little Farmer from West Yorkshire, good luck in trying to get planning permission for your static... believe me it won't be easy, if your friend has told you to look for loop holes then he knows it's a very slim chance you will get it.  best of luck in your venture  :)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »
Welcome little farmer , from arbroath , can't advise you as I have no idea
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:45:23 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire. No good for advice, I'm afraid but there are otheres on here who have been down the planning permission route and will be able to give you some advice. Sounds like a great venture btw.  :thumbsup:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »
 :wave: Hello!  Different areas have different rules,  We are on the edge of the Peak National park, so difficult to get anything at all built  (unless its a supermarket).  Having said that, someone I know, put a log cabin on his land for his family, and after 3 years I think, applied for a house.  But he does have a large acreage, and also farms full time, so that may well help his cause.  Good luck with your application.

little farmer

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:24 pm »
 thanks for your welcomes and hopefully someone will pick up the link and have some advice for me, well back to the research, and ille keep you posted  :farmer:

Granny A

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:28 am »
Talk to your local Councillor. To get anywhere with planning permission you need them on your side and they will also be able to guide you. In theory planning is supposed to be getting easier, but...... Planning for an agricultural building is much easier to get than a house. Start there.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »
There's a book called Field to Farm that is a guide to doing what you have in mind (http://www.fieldtofarm.com/). Haven't read it, but lots of people have recommended it. Good luck.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:07:59 am »
I was just about to write exactly the same as Tudful Tamworths - so I'll just say "welcome" from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »
The planning situation has changed. The whole 'make a business, show three years profit while living in a mobile home, then apply for a house' thing has been swept away, although some councils are trying to hang on to it. You could well be just as successful applying for a house, pure and simple, especially a sustainable -type house, then trying to link it to a smallholding business.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:01:48 pm »
no idea re planning, but hello!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS