Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay making advice  (Read 2798 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Hay making advice
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:14:13 am »
Never made hay before but our farming neighbour has just cut 3 acres and his bailer has broken down.
He has phoned to say if we want the hay we can have it , its been cut for 3 days and I am in the process of turning it by hand  :o  How long should I leave it once turned ? and once turned and dried on the top will that be it ready or will it need turning again ??
I am hot bothered and have blisters on my blisters  ::)
Graham

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Hay making advice
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:01 am »
You are looking for about 15% to 25% moisture. I'd say three days of fine weather is good to bail and should still be green but dry throughout

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:35 am »
Thanks,  Just finished turning it. Its 32deg here today and no wind  so it was a bit hot out there  ::)
Graham

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:39:54 pm »
You've done we'll, don't forget drink lots and sometimes a shandy is just right  :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:34:19 pm »
The main thing is that once it's really dry you don't want it getting wet.  We had a sharp shower here last night - I heard it, and the cement was wet this morning - and our friends uphill had a downpour just as they started baling their first hay for 7 years.  ::)

When the top's dried, go pick up a pile of it and see what you think.  If there's no green left, it's dry.  If there's green, twist it hard - does it break?  If so, bale it / get it in.  If you can squeeze moisture out, it could do with a bit more drying - can you shake it out a bit?  (But don't be silly in this heat.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS