Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rooster attacking little chicks  (Read 1646 times)

micaelrodrigo

• Joined May 2012
Rooster attacking little chicks
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

We have a couple of little bantam chickens at the backyard and the rooster has been attacking the four-week chicks as if it is trying to kill them.

It has also been mounting on the hen more often than usual, so would it be jealousy that is causing the attacks? Is there something we could do to prevent such attacks?

Thanks for the help,

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Rooster attacking little chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:39:56 pm »
Are they male chicks? Are they with a broody? Can you separate them off? How big is the run? At that age, I tend to have them off in a separate run with broody mum. Once they're a bit older, we bring the run into the main run so they're together and can get used to each other but divided by wire. Then once they're out, it's a bit easier. I've got three eight week old chicks in the main run now, broody has left them and they tend to skirt round the edges by themselves but we have a big run (200m2) and plenty of places for them to hide. At night they choose to go in with the ducks - we did try and put them across into the hen house once but one came out injured in the morning (no idea by whom) so we've left them where they want to be and will try and move them across once they're more of a match for size.

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:44 am »
Possible the cockerel can tell that they are male chicks, long before a human can, so he would be removing rivals early. Chicks should be separate from adults until they are able to defend themselves, so 26 weeks plus. He may be treading the hen because his environment has been disturbed by these chicks and he is acting purely on instinct, rather than routine. Removing the chicks and re-establishing his previous environment may resolve it. Otherwise he will need separating or the hen will need a saddle.

micaelrodrigo

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:29:55 pm »
Yes, the chicks are with their mum. And I believe he is identifying the male ones. Today I was around when he attacked the little one I believe is male too; it's weird though, it's random, and he is most of the time grazing with the hen and the chicks...

The problem is there is only her on the backyard and apparently she is about to lay eggs again... I thought about lending a hen from a neighbour to put together (as he is not flying on the neighbour's backyard to look after their hens since the chick were born) in order to calm him a little and avoid putting a saddle on her back... lol

On the other hand, as he sleeps on a lemon tree and we lock her  with the chicks till morning, during the day, we are able to hear if there is something wrong on the backyard...

Thanks for the help...

Regards,

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:58 pm »
Can you not put hen plus chicks in a little run for a while? He'll be fine on his own - or will just go back to the neighbours - and then you don't need to worry about her or the chicks. Otherwise I suspect it I'll be just a matter of time before he picks off the cockerels, however quickly you can run out (and I guess sometimes you're away from home). What are you going to do with the cockerels anyway? An alternative is to clear them now, one way or another,

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS