Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My sheep look sunburnt!  (Read 2123 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
My sheep look sunburnt!
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
They were machine sheared night before last and despite spending most of their day iin the hedge shade - they look VERY pink.  Do I need to do anything, or can they cope with this ?  They may not be sunburnt of course - just have pink skin which I have never seen before (handshaered last year so more left on). Thnkas all

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: My sheep look sunburnt!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:39:20 pm »
Different breeds of sheep with different wool types can look very pink after close machine shearing :sunshine:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »
I would definitely apply sunscreen! At least a factor 50, and make sure you don't get too much on their towels

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:30 am »
Our texel/wiltshire looked bright pink after she was sheared but the others didn't. It settled down and now they have a cm of growth she looks less '80's disco chick' and more sheep again.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:42:37 pm »
 ;D  thanks, thought as much but needed to check that they weren't like pigs (after such a close shave)!  Looking even pinker today, but then so am I!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS